Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Help With Post ATPL

Search this Thread

Old 14th Dec 2019, 06:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Post ATPL

Hi guys, just thought I’d pop a question up to get some advice.

I’ve just finished my Australian CPL and now onto my ATPL’s. I’ve just knocked off HUF, LAW and MET but I’m doing the harder 4 with Nathan Higgins at AFT. I’ll be finishing around early February 2020 which is when the charter and scenic flight operators are potentially employing in the north of Australia.
I was wondering if it is worth doing my Multi Engine Instrument Rating course STRAIGHT after ATPL’s which leaves me looking for a job in June or go straight from ATPL’s up north and try to find a job without an instrument rating since it will be the dry season.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers
Old 14th Dec 2019, 09:40

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd hold off the instrument rating for a year if you intend to go north for the season. A night VFR is worth investing in before you go. If you can pick up some work, great. Most new folks are "let go" for a few months over the wet season. Now this is when you should do your multi instrument rating. You should have a job to go back to and hopefully, you might be looking at twins etc.
Now sometimes it does pay off to go north mid-end season, you can pick up some work but generally, it's a lot harder.

Also, as you've earnt some money as a CPL holder, you should be able to claim your IR on tax return - check with the current rules though.

Other quals to get, Dangerous Goods certificate, First Aid certificate, maybe a large vehicle licence (ie a small bus).
I did it 30 odd years ago so my info may be about of date.
Old 14th Dec 2019, 11:23

Thanks heaps for the reply redsnail
That seems like the most logical way of doing it. .
I did notice the charters up north are requiring a first aid cert, hazards awareness and light rigid licence.
Some great tips there and I’ll take that onboard
Old 14th Dec 2019, 17:01

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
No worries, good luck
Old 20th Dec 2019, 04:38

Definitely a good idea to finish your ATPLs now before you get employed. I did it the hard way and wish I'd taken the advice I was given to knock them on the head ASAP!

I lean more onto the side of do the MECIR now. It would be unlikely you need it immediately, however, if you get a gig at a mob with twins you will be overlooked for the upgrade. Getting time off will also prove to be difficult, as many places run thin on pilots and to lose one for 6-8 weeks they are likely to be resistant. If you get some lucky timing the potential to progress quite quickly can happen. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if you have the full toolkit (ATPLs and MECIR), you are good to go on any opportunity presented to you.
And finally, although you shouldn't be doing it, and it will probably gets complaints, but having more IMC exposure will more than likely help you through a few learning experiences. I don't think the CPL course really cuts it concerning VFR flight into IMC (not IFR!) and a bit more exposure can help if it goes a little pear shaped.