Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

PPL Advice

Search this Thread

Old 18th Dec 2019, 17:58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL Advice

Hello, I came into this forum looking for information for a good friend whose 17 yr old son would like to follow the route to become a pilot. I thought it would be easy to glean the required information for gaining a PPL with the associated costs but I am overwhelmed with the vast amount of information on these threads. Would someone be able to suggest a good school in the South of England (home is in the Thames Valley corridor) please? I am sure I read that it might be possible to gain a PPL cheaper in the USA with an intensive course but how would that licence work in the UK - Can it be converted? I am grateful for any information. I should add that the PPL would be his son's first step on the route to becoming a professional pilot.
Many Thanks
KeMac

Last edited by KeMac; 18th Dec 2019 at 18:22.
Old 18th Dec 2019, 22:19

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
There are a thousand routes to an airline job and everyone you all will tell you to do it a different way. Most licences can be converted, so for example you can get an FAA (American) PPL and convert it to EASA or vice versa. There are many good schools in both sides of the pond and all over the world. You can go modular or integrated depending on whether you want to pay £40k or £100k for the same licence. Basically you need the licence for where you want to fly if you're flying professionally. So EASA for Europe, FAA for the US, CASA for Australia etc.
Under the EASA modular system you start with a PPL, then get a night rating, ATPL exams, multi engine rating, instrument rating and CPL. The initial PPL can be any PPL from any country, so I usually recommend an FAA PPL for a few reasons: it's usually cheaper because GA is 100 times bigger in the US. The weather is usually better which means you can get your licence in a month. It includes night privileges as standard, and it's relatively cheap to add an IR which can be converted to EASA cheaply. Plus from a young man's point of view it's an adventure. Some people take 6-12 months to get a PPL in the UK because so many days are lost to poor weather and everyone wants to fly on the good days.

The best price of advice you can give is to get an EASA class one medical. All professional pilots need one and it's vital to make sure he can hold one before doing any flight training, as there are quite a few disqualifying conditions. Then start a PPL course somewhere. By the time he has a PPL he'll know what he needs to do.
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudestuff - this is perfect. Thank you very much - It didn't occur to me about the medical aspect and it should have done as that was why I was turned down on account of eyesight issues.
Seasons Greetings &
Best Regards
KeMac
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:30

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
May I make a recommendation?
In regards to the age of the individual may I recommend just doing the Private first, preferentially in the U.K. then fly recreational for a year or so to see if the drive is still there?
Being desperate to become one thing one month and another occupation another month.
Privilege of youth.