Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

Some years ago Chinese 737 landed hard killing captain. Details requested

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

Old 26th Dec 2019, 23:22

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About five years ago there was a B737 crash at a Chinese airport which killed the captain. I vaguely recall reading a media report where the Chinese captain stuffed up the landing and landed extremely heavily causing his incapacitation. The aircraft bounced and the inexperienced first officer took control and tried to do a circuit and land. I understand he lost control on base leg and crashed.
Appreciate any details on the accident report if indeed there was one published in English.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 00:41

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts
Searching the Wiki 737 accident list, the cloest I can find that has "China" in the description is China Southern 3456, though it doesn't claim the skipper was incapacitated, rather, they had a hydraulic failure after touching down off the runway and bouncing, then going around for another attempt.

The only other ones there are Xiamen 8301, a hijacking that collided with other aircraft on landing, China Southern 3943 that crashed on descent due to mismanaging the autothrottle and China Airlines 120, the one that had the fuel leak on landing and exploded at the gate.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 09:31

Received 196 Likes on 90 Posts
Nothing obvious on ASN.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 12:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Southern 3456 accident. Read the CVR transcription. Frightening stuff. All the CRM, TEM, Startle Effect that is all the go nowadays is so dependant on ethnic cultural mores.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 12:35

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
KRviator. Thanks for info. Looks like it was China Southern 3456 that I had read about. The dates are widely different but circumstances similar.