Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner)
Reload this Page >

Unreliable 747 at Lgw about 1990

Wikiposts
Search
Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Search this Thread

Old 31st Dec 2019, 10:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, during a rather drunken conversation, a colleague who knew I was into aircraft mentioned they had been delayed at LGW for over 24 hours in 1990.
H e said the aircraft was an all white Jumbo, they were flying long haul to Florida.
Later in the year there was an article in a national newspaper about this particular aircraft and its unreliability.Anyone remember this?MTIA
Old 31st Dec 2019, 10:39

Location: Either the back of a sim, or wherever Crewing send me.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was this the 747 that was leased by Airtours and was given the name of “the flying pig” perhaps?

It was an ex Pan Am jumbo that they used on their Orlando service and was regularly tech.
Old 31st Dec 2019, 11:50

N602FF Tower Air leased to Air Europe the infamous "Fat Freddie"could be a candidate

Daft Wader
Old 31st Dec 2019, 12:13

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Yup AE's N602FF 747 Fat Freddie leased from Tower Air was one of them, plus in 1989 AE also leased N751PA B.747-121 from Orion Air (USA) which IIRC Airtours also operated.

You can also add in the Lion Air 747-100's leased from Cargolux (seen st times with both Lion Air and Orion Air titles) that flew for both Airtours and International Caribbean.

All the aircraft were basically white.

For AE and AIH the old crates could be seen flying anywhere from Gatwick or MAN to Orlando, or to BKK (AE), Palma and TFS

AIH decided to upgrade and leased a nice Rolls Royce 747-219B from Air New Zealand

AE had RR MD-11's on order but they went bust 1991.
Old 1st Jan 2020, 19:24

Thanks for all replies, very interesting.Saw him again last night and apparently one of his mates had taken a photo from the spectators balcony and the aircraft was N751PA in Orion colour scheme.His wife remembers the aircraft being filthy inside, trust a woman to notice that.Googled it and it did seem to have a bit of a reputation.
A tad surprised I did not remember this as I was always interested in the early 747s as they were one of the reasons I got into aircraft.
I wonder if one of the early A 380s will go the same way, maybe one of the Hi Fly aircraft.Happy New Year.