Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

VFR to IFR to VFR outside CTA

Old 30th Jan 2020, 23:53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR to IFR to VFR outside CTA

Hi

Just an odd question. Let's say I am VFR in Class G airspace in a single engine aircraft that is IFR approved and I also have a current instrument rating.

Now lets say I have departed an aerodrome such as Bankstown and am heading west. I am on a VFR flight plan. I discover the cloud base is such that I cannot get over the range VFR but I know on the other side of the range the sky is CAVOK. If myself and the aircraft are approved for IFR but have not submitted an IFR flight plan and are remaining in Class G airspace with no assistance required from ATC, can I fly this segment over the range IFR or do I need to turn back and submit a new plan.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 09:12

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
I do not know the regulations in Australia, where you say you are, but...

- in the USA I would have to talk to ATC and declare myself "pop up IFR traffic", they'll either accept me as I am or ask me to file a flightplan on RT, then proceed. I have the option later on to "Cancel Clearance", at which point I would revert to VFR. In the USA, for all reasonable purposes there is no class G above 1200ft, so this would be in class E.

- in the UK I would be entirely within my rights to fly semicircular rule, if I was in receipt of a service just tell them that I'm now IFR, and just carry on. If I go back to VFR (which isn't strictly necessary, I can happily continue IFR in VMC) I tell the service provider if I have one, and make a note for my logbook. That would indeed be class G.

As for your local regulations, no idea although filing a flight plan on RT is generally possible anywhere in the world, so you really shouldn't have to land to do that.

G
Old 1st Feb 2020, 06:10

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameson92
Hi

Just an odd question. Let's say I am VFR in Class G airspace in a single engine aircraft that is IFR approved and I also have a current instrument rating.

Now lets say I have departed an aerodrome such as Bankstown and am heading west. I am on a VFR flight plan. I discover the cloud base is such that I cannot get over the range VFR but I know on the other side of the range the sky is CAVOK. If myself and the aircraft are approved for IFR but have not submitted an IFR flight plan and are remaining in Class G airspace with no assistance required from ATC, can I fly this segment over the range IFR or do I need to turn back and submit a new plan.

Thanks for any feedback.

Why not submit an IFR flight plan , and depart vfr, with an IFR pickup if needed.

You could try submit a flight plan airborne , remaining VFR, but doubt centre controller may help.

Last edited by ersa; 1st Feb 2020 at 09:50.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 00:05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of being pedantic, out here in the western US there are a number of areas where class G goes beyond 1200 AGL, many to 14,500'. We also have the ocean where it's class G once you're 12nm offshore, if I remember correctly.

Some years ago a friend got stuck under a layer near San Luis Obispo and couldn't get a pop up clearance, couldn't climb high enough for radar contact. Suggestion was to go offshore, climb through the layer and then come back. The hangar debate afterwards on whether this was wise or legal went on for some time.