Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

ICAO Type Rating on EASA License

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Old 31st Jan 2020, 23:12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All information and thoughts appreciated....

In the rush to get a UK CAA license converted to IAA/EASA, I had to put a current type rating from one of my ICAO licenses onto the IAA issued license. So the type rating is restricted to aircraft registered in the ICAO county only (so, effectively useless). I am not current on any types in Europe right now as don't currently use the license for work.

Is there any benefit to having an ICAO type rating on a EASA license or is the benefit limited to just being able to complete the SOLI process?

To get the type rating unrestricted, I presume just involves a flight test in that type under EASA regs? And 350hrs on type is required to excuse the need for full type rating course?

When the type is issued is there another fee (300e again)? Or does it automatically go on your license given you already have it on there - albeit restricted.

Ultimately, the question is.... is the restricted type rating another part of the SOLI racket? Or does it offer same value in saving on flight time or licensing fees?

Thank you.

[To make the question a bit clearer...
Bell 412 on Canadian license. No valid EASA type ratings on UK CAA license. UK CAA license converted to IAA. IAA could not be issued without valid type rating. So most recent LPC was needed (412 in Canada). 412 now on IAA license, restricted for use on Canadian registered aircraft... so... useless. But at least still a EASA license.
If need 412 rating unrestricted, is only a flight test required? Will there be a fee in addition to the 300e I have already paid for the restricted type rating?]

Old 1st Feb 2020, 01:52

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the 350 hours on type only a check with an examiner (TRE) is needed. Every country has different fees for the entry of a type rating. Germany charges €70 for a twin, €50 for a single.
The IAA will send you a bill with the new license.
Doing a full course on an R22 or a Hughes 300 is probably cheaper than the check flight on that 412.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 05:16

I know in Spain there is one ATO with 412. Maybe try give them a call to get a check there. But now with BREXIT not so sure you could do that and still have that check ride accepted by the UK CAA.

Give it a try.
Old 12th Feb 2020, 09:15

Thanks for all the advice and help.