Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > Aviation History and Nostalgia
Reload this Page >

Dating a piece of cloth

Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Dating a piece of cloth

Old 14th Feb 2020, 12:08

Received 126 Likes on 75 Posts
Dating a piece of cloth

Recently in an antiques fair I came across some old cotton sleeves of a pre-WWII Japanese kimono. They show an automobile, an aircraft carrier with side funnel(?), a biplane and what looks like an auto gyro.

This has to be early 1930s, perhaps mid to late 1920s I am guessing, but would anyone be able to narrow it further? Possibly not terribly historically accurate, but must be based on something, representing what would have been the latest domestic or foreign technology...?

No reason. Just curiosity. (Only for a rainy day.)
Old 14th Feb 2020, 12:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly the Japanese carrier Kaga - somewhere between 1928 and 1933 (when rebuilt)

Interesting video here re the development of aircraft carriers up to 1928

Old 14th Feb 2020, 14:07

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
The aircraft looks like a Farman f.50 or f.60, one f.50 went into service with the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service followed by up to six f.60's in 1921.
And the Autogyro is a bit abstract but could be a Kellett or Cierva from the late 20's or 30's.

Richard
Old 14th Feb 2020, 14:17

Received 126 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks for the eye-opening replies so far. The video took 30 minutes, but was quite comprehensive and covered some new ground for me.