Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

Best Configuration for Fuel burn

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

Old 17th Feb 2020, 08:58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, just chasing mainly for the B737-800 what configuration is best for burning fuel to reduce landing weight for a return to land at destination airport from a takeoff weight of approx 70 tonne. Does anyone have experience of configurations with high fuel flows and low noise,
cheers
Nog
Old 17th Feb 2020, 09:15

Low noise??

Well, the goal of the exercise is to burn fuel at a reasonable high rate in a hold with minimum fuss.
So how about hold below 10 000feet, say 4000 feet, 230kts with 2 minute legs or greater , gear down flap 5 should give reasonable high fuel flow and not to much noise.
No clue about the total fuel flow at that speed an configuration as I never had this issue, but a clean hold at 4000 and up speed plus 10 gives ca 2200kg burn per hr for aircraft 65 ton or less.
So a 70 ton aircraft at my configuration would tip 4000kg plus ,I figure.
Total wild guess.
Tell You what, I put it on my list for the sim next month , time permitting. ( Mind You a lot of Max vs -800 stuff I want to test first)
Regards
Cpt B

Last edited by BluSdUp; 17th Feb 2020 at 20:52. Reason: 230kts
Old 17th Feb 2020, 17:18

Originally Posted by nig&nog
Hi all, just chasing mainly for the B737-800 what configuration is best for burning fuel to reduce landing weight for a return to land at destination airport from a takeoff weight of approx 70 tonne. Does anyone have experience of configurations with high fuel flows and low noise,
cheers
Nog
High fuel flow and low noise? Fuel = the sound of freedom. If noise is the issue climb to the FL350, or higher, and burn holes in the sky. If burning down fuel fast is the issue then it's gear down with flaps at low altitude. Turning requires some power so gear down, flaps 15, and a constant 30 degree banked turn is one solution. Given that the landing app I just checked says you can land on 5000' at 152,000 lbs landing slightly heavier should be much of a problem. Or just burn down to 152,000 lbs and land normally. That should take much time after taking off at 70t.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 17:32

You can extend the speed brakes but it's loud and creates a lot of vibration. I doubt people would use that option to increase fuel burn.