Wikiposts
Search
Medical & Health News and debate about medical and health issues as they relate to aircrews and aviation. Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME. Due to advertising legislation in various jurisdictions, endorsements of individual practitioners is not permitted.

Class 2 Medical Help.

Search this Thread

Old 29th Mar 2020, 15:28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 2 Medical Help.

Hi Guys,
I am 35 hours into my PPL(H).
Last year I had chest pains and visited the doctor who sent me for an Echogram.
To cut a long story short my LVEF function was 42% with 50% being the accepted minimum for a Class 2 Medical Certificate.
I spoke to a CAA appointed Medical Officer who said that even though I measured only 42%, as I have never had and have no symptoms of the low LVEF measurement I may be able to appeal.
Has anyone else had this problem and am I likely to win the appeal?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 22:19

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to go back to the cardiologist who looked after you last year and get all your notes and reports and his diagnosis. You have given but one measurement which may be an error. Speak to the original cardiologist first before approaching the CAA. It may be an issue or may not be

Unfortunately UK medicine has now closed down and only time limited emergencies are being dealt with so I regret this will have to wait until the pandemic is over. However, there is no training and no recreational flying either. Please dont go bothering your GP or cardiologist as you can do nothing and we are all very busy

I would be happy to help later this year when you have more information.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 22:25

Originally Posted by Radgirl
You need to go back to the cardiologist who looked after you last year and get all your notes and reports and his diagnosis. You have given but one measurement which may be an error. Speak to the original cardiologist first before approaching the CAA. It may be an issue or may not be

Unfortunately UK medicine has now closed down and only time limited emergencies are being dealt with so I regret this will have to wait until the pandemic is over. However, there is no training and no recreational flying either. Please dont go bothering your GP or cardiologist as you can do nothing and we are all very busy

I would be happy to help later this year when you have more information.
Thankyou for your reply. My next official appointment with my cardiologist is in October before which I have another Echogram. However I did mention the situation to my GP last month and he said he would be willing to put me forward for another Echogram sooner than October if I wished. I am currently on a tablet to help the LVEF function. Fingers crossed.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 20:23

I have just had a date confirmed for my Echogram, obviously there’s no training going on at the minute but when it restarts, should I put it on hold until the results of the Echogram or keep my hand in by having a lesson every now and again?