Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Version of the U2?

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 21st Apr 2020, 15:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This time it's dubbed the U2S which, to add to that airframe's many existing talents, looks like it's taking on a comms-hub role too. There's an article over at Aviation Week here.

In the article there's a picture of U-2S 80-1099 being loaded into a jig dubbed "RF50". I'm not a fuselages expert, but to me it looks like they're going to give the fuselage a jolly good tweak, straighten it up again. I suppose if you're going to have airframes flying for several decades or so it's worth having a jig to straighten them up after a bit of a prang. Or, is it simply a jig to hold it whilst the panel beaters set to work?

Anyway, nice to see one of the iconic aircraft of the last century getting yet another life extension to take it well into this one.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 16:26

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That's just a holding fixture, not really stiff enough for anything else besides light hand tool work. The frames at each end are fixed and cannot rotate from what I can see in that picture.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 18:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIRC The U-2S has been around for a few years, I think the article refers to an upgrade for them
Old 21st Apr 2020, 21:06
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,590 Likes on 727 Posts
The U-2S First flew in 1994, over 25 years ago.....

U-2S - Redesignation of the TR-1A and U-2R aircraft with updated General Electric F118 engine, improved sensors, and addition of a GPS receiver; 31 converted.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-She...560/u-2stu-2s/