Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways warns of 'substantial' job losses

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Old 6th May 2020, 09:12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News from the sand pit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52555046 looks like Qatar will start a cull. If they follow the "traditions" set by other ME carriers they will start with the Ex-Pats and work downwards to the cleaners..being a skipper means nothing when it comes to hierarchy in these places, the local cabbie has more rights.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:23

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Qatar Airways will be very badly affected as it is a hub airline with no domestic routes and very little origin/destination traffic. In the aftermath of COVID-19 there will be little demand for premium travel and important markets such as India will take a long time to be at an acceptable level of risk. The airline isn't as important to the country as EK is to Dubai or CX to Hong Kong, the question is how much money from government reserves, and the oil/gas fields with prices at their depressed levels, will the rulers be willing to funnel in with the expectation of a payback further down the track.

Substantial losses were already being experienced due to the blockade and the airline needs a recovery in the long haul premium market, which will be the last area to come back online once restrictions are eased. Unfortunately, unless there is a fairly quick improvement, the airline will probably downsize to what is sufficient to fly the migrant workers in and out, and to take the locals shopping in LON/PAR/NY. A real pity as the airline is one of my favourites and offered a very good product at surprisingly low fares.

Old 6th May 2020, 13:48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard it's around 30% of cabin crew being let go and the pilots are awaiting their letter. Have read a positive article on QR website about their aggressive plans to get going again as country entry restrictions are lifted.
Old 6th May 2020, 14:54

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the letter to QR cabin crew that went out a couple of days ago. Similar CEO letters will inevitably go to employee groups throughout the industry in the weeks to come.

GCEO/CC/108/20E
04 MAY 2020

To: All Cabin Crew
Sub: COVID-19

Dear All,

Despite all the efforts and hopes for a quick rebound, we are facing adversity on unprecedented scale. The global outlook for our industry looks grim and many airlines are closing or significantly reducing operations. Unfortunately, Qatar Airways is not immune to this challenge. Let me assure you that no effort was spared to keep all our aircrafts in the skies — you were a vital part of the continuous operations for which our passengers from all over the world applaud you. Now, we have to face a new reality, where many borders are closed, rendering many of our destinations closed and aircrafts grounded as a result, with no foreseeable outlook for immediate, positive change.

The truth is, we simply cannot sustain the current staff numbers and will need to make a substantial number of jobs redundant — inclusive of Cabin Crew. Your management will be communicating details of the planned reductions in the upcoming weeks. As the leader of Qatar Airways, it is a very difficult message to pass to you, because your hard work is what makes this Company great and continuously recognized worldwide for the best customer service. I understand that this situation will impact your careers and personal lives. This is why I requested our HR Department to work on a special recruitment program that will allow for your swift return to Qatar Airlines in the future, should the opportunity arise.

Finally, I wanted to seek your cooperation with your management and HR during this difficult transition. Everyone impacted by any redundancy will be paid all contractual dues and outstanding overtime payments, as applicable. For those who cannot return to their home countries straight away, the Company will provide housing and a special living allowance until repatriation is possible.

Yet again, I wanted to thank you for your loyalty, contributions and resilience. Qatar Airways will do everything to bring the operations back up and offer you the ability to rejoin, if possible.

Regards,

Akbar Al Baker
Group Chief Executive