Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Flying Instructors & Examiners
Reload this Page >

Can and EASA checkride satisfy FAA 'Flight Review'

Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

Old 14th May 2020, 10:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an EASA and FAA Licence holder.
My FAA Cert needs a 'Bi-ennial Flight Review', and my IR needs an IPC.

I work for an airline on my EASA cert so I'm doing regular proficency checks according to EASA, which meet all the requirements for the FAA Flight Review , except of course being signed off by an FAA CFI.

Does anyone have any experience trying to convince any FSDO to allow an EASA LPC to satisfy FAA Flight Reviews etc?

Slim chance I know......

Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 08:03

I doubt it. 61.56d(1) refers to an "examiner" which 61.1 defines as "...any person who is authorized by the Administrator..". Also, 61.56i(1) would seem to apply if you're doing it in a sim.
Also, I doubt your FAA IR needs an IPC, as I would bet that your airline flying satisfies 61.57c.
Old 15th May 2020, 18:12

Just to clarify, the OP is asking about the exemption from the Flight Review (under 61.56(d)(1). To add to @Booglebox's answer:

61.1(b) defines:
the "Authorised Instructor" as an FAA Flight Instructor... issued under Part 61, for the Review at 61.56(c)
the Examiner to be "authorised... for an airman certificate or rating under this part", for the exemption.

The key phrase here is "under this part" or "under Part 61". Some sections of Part 61 do not specify "under this part" , and in those cases, other (aeronautical) experience is usually allowable.

If in doubt, you would need an opinion from FAA Legal Counsel, which takes typically a minimum of 6-9 months.

Finally for Instrument experience, 61.57(c) requires the approaches to be both performed and logged. If you cannot document that you were continuously in compliance with para (c) since your last FAA certificate or rating check-ride, then I would suggest that the IPC is required.

As a 61.75 certificate holder, you will never have demonstrated competence to the FAA, unless you have "US Test Passed". If you have a full Part 61 certificate, then the logging is required in a 6/12 month period.

Also note, that while a 'Redbird' type SIM can be used to maintain recency, it cannot be used for the whole IPC, due the need to conduct a Circling Approach.

Old 15th May 2020, 23:06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The interpretation to Olson (2016) addresses the meaning of examiner.

Paragraph (e) of section 61.56 is an obvious workaround for the flight review:

"A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section,
satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot
proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this
section."

The FAA program for this is WINGS whose purpose as set out in AC 61-91J is:

"The objective of the WINGS—Pilot Proficiency Program is to reduce the
number of accidents in General Aviation (GA) by assisting airmen to find educational
opportunities designed to help them apply the principles of risk assessment and risk management
(RM). When properly applied, these principles will help mitigate accident causal factors
associated with common pilot errors, lack of proficiency, and faulty knowledge. The Federal
Aviation Administration’s (FAA) purpose is to encourage the majority of GA pilots, through
WINGS, to engage in ongoing, targeted flying tasks and learning activities keyed to identified
risks and which are designed to mitigate those risks. The FAA continually collects and assesses
its databases to identify the risks associated with GA flying and incorporates risk mitigation
strategies into initial and ongoing pilot education."

Crediting under WINGS requires completing a number of knowledge and flight tasks. The former can be done online through the FAA Safety Team website https://www.faasafety.gov/ Crediting of flight tasks may be done by any FAASTeam Program Manager (see Resources > Directory at that website). It will be at the FPM's discretion whether foreign tests/checks count for that purpose but I have found most FPMs are happy giving the credit.