Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Arial Surveying

Old 28th May 2020, 15:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arial Surveying

Having seen a constant stream of survey aircraft during lockdown flying swim lanes over Bedfordshire including 2 at the same time today, I was wondering exactly what these aircraft are actually surveying? What is the result of these flights? Genuinely interested.
Old 29th May 2020, 13:17

Received 329 Likes on 194 Posts
What is this a/c doing ?

They're about most of the year - you just see them now as there is nothing else - plus the fantastic weather and lack of other aircraft makes this Dream Time for them.

They'll be surveying for new roads, HS2, pipelines, crops, archaeology and the OS has a constant programme of updating imagery to be able to keep their maps up to date.
Old 29th May 2020, 14:03

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't imagine that there's been such a plethora of surveying aircraft over the UK ever before. Clear skies and minimal air traffic has allowed the surveyors free-reign to do their thing.
Old 30th May 2020, 13:54

Received 329 Likes on 194 Posts
Longer days are good as well, but trees coming out is a bit less than optimum conditions - March/April was perfect