Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

'Mock' Spitfire TB832

Old 17th Jun 2020, 12:14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Mock' Spitfire TB832

I have a shot of 'mock' Spitfire TB832 at Woodford Air Show in 1982.
I'm struggling to find any information about the history of this aircraft other than it was involved in a landing accident in October 1945 and struck-off charge the following year. I'm keen to know what happened after this.

Thanks
Mark
Old 17th Jun 2020, 13:23
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 220 Likes on 134 Posts
Mark, think you probably mean TB382 which was one of two travelling exhibit Spitfires the RAF had. According to Geoff Goodall's excellent site:
  • RAF Thornaby: gate guard 8.55
  • RAF Middleton St George: gate guard 8.56/64
  • RAF Hospital, Ely: gate guard 64/67
  • Spitfire Productions Ltd, RAF Henlow: leased from RAF for the movie The Battle of Britain .67/68 (arr. Henlow 14.2.67 for rest for movie taxying scenes)
  • RAF Bicester: travelling exhibit .69/76
  • RAF Abingdon: travelling exhibit .76/99 (displ. as "X4277/XT-M”, later “MK673/SK-E”) (displ. in Hong Kong 90/91 as “X4277”, airfreighted Hong Kong-Gatwick 19.1.91) after displ;ay in Hong Kong)
  • Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby: arr. dism.for spares recovery 29.10.99/02 (dismantled for parts recovery for BBMF, surveyed as structurally unsuitable for future rest. to fly: parts to TE311) remainder sold to fund restoration of TE311)
  • Airframe Assemblies, Sandown IoW: fuselage, parts 9.02/18 (fuse. long-term airworthy rest. at Sandown 17)
Old 17th Jun 2020, 16:21

This Spitfire absolutely delighted a couple of US Air Cadets on exchange to the UK! Cardiff 1978, RAF Recruiting 'Town Show' in the 'moat' (it was dry!) of Cardiff Castle. Two cadets, really great young men, had been having a bit of a rough time so I persuaded the Abingdon team to lend me the keys to the cockpit which was normally kept heavily locked shut. Both got a seat in it, were photographed, had a good look round/play with it and were treated like minor royalty. None of their colleagues even got the cockpit open! To say it made their visit to the UK is an understatement. We had delightful letters of thanks from both of them and, a couple of years later, letters saying 'thanks again' and that both were now in the USAF!
Old 18th Jun 2020, 10:46

Great story! And thanks for the info..