Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

UK ATOs with non-UK EASA training Approvals

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Old 22nd Jun 2020, 08:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

Does anyone happen to know which UK ATOs (if any) have managed to get non-UK EASA approval in place for their flight training for the post Brexit 2021 world?

I am a modular student a few months from the end of ATPL theory and I had a UK ATO in mind for CPL/ME/IR and was expecting to finish my training this year and qualify for an EASA licence. However, since COVID has intervened so spectacularly that time frame is looking less likely so I am having to look again at where to complete my training.

My employment ambitions are primarily UK based on not actually in the airlines as such so if it all works out how I would like it to in the end the EASA licence probably isn't necessary, but I would be more comfortable keeping as many options open as possible at this stage.

Of course I will be phoning around myself but if anyone knows about any ATOs with those approvals and/or any recent experience of them I would be grateful to know!

Thanks
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 22:30

I am a modular student a few months from the end of ATPL theory and
Not clear if you have already thought of securing your ATPL theory exams to be and to remain EASA approved in the first place?
There is a short thread answering to some of that, PPRuNe search option will find you more on the subject. And look for posts by Alex Whittingham.
ATPL Brexit Theory Advice

For the flight training part, there's a list of UK ATOs that appear to have secured EASA life after BREXIT.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...ALS_200130.pdf
There are a handful of ab-initio ATOs in the list, call them up and find out if after December they can continue providing for EASA licences from british ground or if they would refer to their sister bases abroad. If that were the case you might as well look at ATOs under Competent Authorities in EASA land, i.e. overseas, directly. With FTE in Jerez you would probably be close/closest to the british training methodology and standards.

Hope this helps,
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 08:37

Hi janrein,

Originally Posted by janrein
Not clear if you have already thought of securing your ATPL theory exams to be and to remain EASA approved in the first place?
Yes sorry, to clarify im studying at BGS so have had the benefit of Alex's advice for a while, the exams themselves are OK as they are with Austro Control, I would just need to change SOLI now.

That pdf is very handy, thank you. Fair point re: the ab-initios and I agree. Looking at that list Stapleford and FTA are fully UK based so you'd have to assume its possible to do it from British soil.

Thanks for your response
Old 1st Sep 2020, 03:15

The link appears to change from time to time, Google "EASA THIRD COUNTRY ORGANISATION APPROVALS" to get the latest, presently
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...ALS_200720.pdf

Subheader reads

LIST OF ATO/AEMC APPROVALS THAT EASA WILL ISSUE ONLY AT THE END OF THE TRANSITION PERIOD (THE LIST WILL BE UPDATED ON A REGULAR BASIS)
To my understanding that means direct oversight by EASA rather than by one of the Member States, as for an ATO based in Andorra (not an EASA Member State) and ATOs in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and further away.

Why don't you give them a call and get the information first hand?

BTW, rumour has it that EASA.GBR.ATO.0114 is no longer.
Airways Aviation have closed at Oxford?

There are still a couple of others you can call and let the forum know your findings.