Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

IWM oral histories

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

IWM oral histories

Search this Thread

Old 17th Jul 2020, 05:13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IWM oral histories

During the football drought I needed something to replace the podcasts that I listened to everyday, and came across these personal histories. They does not seem to be a list that I can find, you pretty much seem to have to think of a name and see if there is a recording.
In my experience they are all fascinating stories but are often (almost) ruined by the interviewer. The best seem to be where the subject is just allowed to ramble on ( e.g. Jeremy Larken, captain of Fearless during Falklands). There are others who have a very interesting tale to tell but are held back by inane questions ( .....".tell me what you felt about the Jet Provost?").
My favourite has been AM Sir Peter Harding. He is a natural raconteur ( and sounds identical to General Melchett in Blackadder Goes Forth). The 30 hours of tape ( that's right 30 hours) whizzes by.There are many others worthy of discussion.
Anyway,just interested to find others who have found gems to be unearthed.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 08:27

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just pop in a name here....................https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/sound
Old 17th Jul 2020, 12:00

Received 219 Likes on 68 Posts
Thanks OP and Georg1na. Couldn't find Sir Peter but did listen to Johnny Rowlands, Skipper on 48 Sqn Hastings when I was a Co-Pilot. Seems he did the full PC stint. This recording was in 1994 at Lyneham when he would have been 55. Great guy!
Old 17th Jul 2020, 14:13

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Can search for other keywords - I tried "56 Squadron" and got Taffy Higginson, Geoffrey Page etc from 1940.