Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Moskva down

Search this Thread

Old 13th Apr 2022, 18:40

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts
Moskva down

Old 13th Apr 2022, 20:16

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,171 Posts
A confirmation re the hitting of the Moskva, but again it’s from a Ukrainian source so until verified I remain sceptical, after all we were told about the massive helicopter destruction that we never saw.

She was incidentally filmed off Sevastapol on the 10th, I saw it the other day.

Old 13th Apr 2022, 23:16

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
A confirmation re the hitting of the Moskva, but again it’s from a Ukrainian source so until verified I remain sceptical, after all we were told about the massive helicopter destruction that we never saw.

https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1514331200449560587

She was incidentally filmed off Sevastapol on the 10th, I saw it the other day.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/s...78405864357895
Ship badly damaged and abandoned due to ammo accident according to Russian MOD. Mr Iceman says........

Old 13th Apr 2022, 23:20

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
RT are confirming as well
https://www.rt.com/russia/553838-rus...ast-black-sea/

Last edited by rattman; 13th Apr 2022 at 23:45.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 01:55

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,171 Posts
Reports now she has sunk morse signals reporting her sinking have stopped and several rescue ships in the area.

Old 14th Apr 2022, 02:16

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts
I found rattman's RT link above informative in the sense that to a certain degree they allow opposing views there, even from rabid anti-Russian posters! This tells me that they are making an effort to appear unbiased, which can also be said conversely of the BBC, where the bias is there but hidden.

(RT used to be a regular source of alternative information, but I stopped watching it many years ago in the UK when the pervasive green began to feel like kryptonite, eating at my bones.)
Old 14th Apr 2022, 02:33

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
Nutty,

That must have been some "ammunition fire".....definitely not small arms stuff for sure.

Missile Reloads gone bad somehow....maybe?

Or...just one Missile arriving courtesy of the Ukraine Military perhaps.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 03:01

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Nutty,

That must have been some "ammunition fire".....definitely not small arms stuff for sure.

Missile Reloads gone bad somehow....maybe?

Or...just one Missile arriving courtesy of the Ukraine Military perhaps.
Or more likely, a missile hit set off an ammo magazine. So they wouldn't be lying, just not telling all the story. Our press is rather expert at that...
Old 14th Apr 2022, 04:13

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Or more likely, a missile hit set off an ammo magazine. So they wouldn't be lying, just not telling all the story. Our press is rather expert at that...
If like most normal people you're not into Stamp collecting, you would not be aware that the Ukrainian Post office issued a new Stamp yesterday and yes the ship on the stamp is the Flagship of the Black Sea Fleet!!!

Old 14th Apr 2022, 05:41
Tabs please !

Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by PPRuNe Towers
Post 4285 further up this page provided by Timmy gives a particularly effective analysis - especially of the reality the Ukranian military are having to face and succeed in versus Putin's problems.

Rob
And now that the Moskva is either sunk or a smoking hulk, one of the inner circle must realise that Putin has nowhere to turn. The nuclear chain of command will have enough insight to realise what has happened and that there is no material risk to the homeland from the West. No sane individual will push the button. Is there someone brave enough to kill Putin, even if they too lose their life in the process ?
Old 14th Apr 2022, 07:23

Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by B Fraser
And now that the Moskva is either sunk or a smoking hulk, one of the inner circle must realise that Putin has nowhere to turn. The nuclear chain of command will have enough insight to realise what has happened and that there is no material risk to the homeland from the West. No sane individual will push the button. Is there someone brave enough to kill Putin, even if they too lose their life in the process ?
More likely a "Sheffield" moment - when a lot of people outside the military realise they haven't embarked on a walk in the park but that serious damage is going to be done. The question is do you stop or decide to slug it out
Old 14th Apr 2022, 08:21

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
More likely a "Sheffield" moment - when a lot of people outside the military realise they haven't embarked on a walk in the park but that serious damage is going to be done. The question is do you stop or decide to slug it out
I think the difference is the open government reporting to the country of the Thatcher government in 1982 re the loss of Sheffield versus the Russian population slowly beginning to realise (maybe, hopefully) that Putin has been misleading them about what is actually going on in Ukraine., that, as you rightly say, it isn't a walk in the park, that the body count likely just went up by over 500 crew and that Putin has taken Russia into an unjust war that he can't possibly win.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 08:37

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
I said many posts ago that the only way out to save face for Russia is for Putin's illness to become obviously worse so he can be removed and then blamed for poor decisions due to ill-health. The ultimate scapegoat.

That allows for full withdrawal and a negotiated settlement, probably returning Crimea to Ukraine control.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:08

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
At first I assumed the missile successfully fired on the Moskva was the Harpoon which Ukraine had asked for from Britain. I had not heard of the Neptune until I found this . Ukraine is fighting Europe's battle but perhaps she should ask Comrade Kim for some of his ample weaponry as well?
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:08

Received 192 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by BANANASBANANAS
I think the difference is the open government reporting to the country of the Thatcher government in 1982 re the loss of Sheffield versus the Russian population slowly beginning to realise (maybe, hopefully) that Putin has been misleading them about what is actually going on in Ukraine., that, as you rightly say, it isn't a walk in the park, that the body count likely just went up by over 500 crew and that Putin has taken Russia into an unjust war that he can't possibly win.
I'm not convinced. If the Kremlin has managed to persuade many of the Russian people that they're fighting a just and necessary war, wouldn't the losses just be portrayed as evil Ukranian Nazis slaying noble Russian warriors, further justifying the need to liberate Ukraine?
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:11

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Weirdly enough, a few days back on Twitter I speculated about an attack on a Russian capital ship along the lines that the Ukrainians reportedly executed i.e. busy up their air picture with a threatening air asset, then sneak in an ASM or two while they were distracted.

Apparently the weather was also a factor - a storm which covered both the Ukrainian's preparation on the shore, and chopped up the sea making detection of a sea skimming weapon more difficult.

All in all a superb attack.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:16

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
FWIW a USAF KC135 has been loitering over the extreme east of Romania for the past hour or two, I'm guessing supporting whatever is trying to take a pic of the Moskva or the smoking patch of ocean where it sank.
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:23

Received 332 Likes on 106 Posts
This will have an effect if the Ukrainians are provided with suitable weaponry to make the strikes.
Nevertheless, as the Ukrainians have apparently got their Neptuns working, this may well mean farewell to the Russian Black Sea fleet in the near future.

Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:28

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
FWIW a USAF KC135 has been loitering over the extreme east of Romania for the past hour or two, I'm guessing supporting whatever is trying to take a pic of the Moskva or the smoking patch of ocean where it sank.
was also a nato E3 same place around the time of the strike, theoretically could have had range to supply targetting data, but if they baited it with a TB2 nato could keep its hands clean

The latest rumors coming from the russian side is that moskva's systems were jammed by F-18G's but still managed to intercept 4 or the 6 neptunes incoming. Personally think its BS because it would be provocative from the US and NATO to do that. The other slightly related rumor is that a C-40 clipper landed in odessa a few days ago under heavy electronic interference (F-18G's ?). It unloaded penguin mk2's then took off
Old 14th Apr 2022, 09:36

Received 830 Likes on 481 Posts
What range would Russian ships have to close to in order to present a credible threat to land forces in support of an amphibious assault?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.