Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Falklands 40

Search this Thread

Old 1st May 2022, 12:12

Received 376 Likes on 95 Posts
Falklands 40

40 years ago this morning saw the first SHAR attack on Stanley airfield. We were all "counted out and counted back" despite the 20mm HE round through my tail!
Old 1st May 2022, 12:25

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Well done sir!
Happy Anniversary (and many more).
Old 1st May 2022, 14:13

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Null Orifice
Well done sir!
Happy Anniversary (and many more).
Seconded, with thanks to Mogwi for his informative and insightful inputs here on PPRuNe
Old 1st May 2022, 17:28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a 40th Falklands anniversary Motorcycle ride from Kings Lynn to Gt Yarmouth on the 12th of June if anyone up for it? To pay tribute to the hole in your shar fin and a lot of other things
Old 1st May 2022, 17:48

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Again if I may add my appreciation for your bravery under fire and your book was a wonderfull read.
Thoughts with the ones that did not make it back, from both sides
Old 1st May 2022, 19:11

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
BLACK BUCK 1 suitably commemorated at the International Bomber Command Centre today hosting the surviving participants of that exceptional effort. Gentleman, it was an honour and privilege to shake your hands. Mogwi, I concur MPN 11's remarks; live long and prosper.
Old 1st May 2022, 19:32

My ‘heroic’ contribution, as SATCO XW, was launching the Vulcans with a green Aldis (RT silence of course) with AOC 1 Gp stood beside me. A safe but spine-tingling moment I shall never forget. And deep respect to all those who were there, and did the dangerous and warry things.
Old 1st May 2022, 22:52

Received 643 Likes on 233 Posts
Please sir, please!

Incredible times. I was P Met O at 1 Group Bawtry. The atmosphere was electric. My main responsibilities relevant to the conflict were Waddington, Scampton, Marham and Wyton. The S Met Os and their people did so well that I felt redundant at times. The staff were queueing up to get on duty, no leaves, no sickies ............
What is not generally known is that the Met Office did significant rejigging of the numerical model to cope with the southern hemisphere ............ the model turned out to be very good at winds, less so with weather.
Mike Knight and Air Cdr Carver and the air staff played a blinder. Carver was the only one with glasses, sometimes passed around the table: the "air staff glasses".
It was a privilege to be occasionally useful.
A late night glass is raised.
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:38

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Please sir, please!

Incredible times. I was P Met O at 1 Group Bawtry. The atmosphere was electric. My main responsibilities relevant to the conflict were Waddington, Scampton, Marham and Wyton. The S Met Os and their people did so well that I felt redundant at times. The staff were queueing up to get on duty, no leaves, no sickies ............
What is not generally known is that the Met Office did significant rejigging of the numerical model to cope with the southern hemisphere ............ the model turned out to be very good at winds, less so with weather.
Mike Knight and Air Cdr Carver and the air staff played a blinder. Carver was the only one with glasses, sometimes passed around the table: the "air staff glasses".
It was a privilege to be occasionally useful.
A late night glass is raised.
A good few years too early for 'Should've gone to Specsavers'!

Jack
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:26

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting post about Mogwi's jet being repaired on Facebook.

Old 2nd May 2022, 18:28

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
Mog - why were you flying so high?

And smiling for the photo Op?

If you had been doing some proper low flying, the round would have passed safely over you without putting an unsightly hole in your fin!!

That would have been something to smile about!
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:42

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
Seems like quite a lot of work to patch it up, Just file off the rough edges and apply speed tape, surely?!
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:05

Originally Posted by ex-fast-jets
Mog - why were you flying so high?!
I recall Mog mentioning here seeing 5ft on the HUD on a run in to Stanley. Perhaps practice made perfect?
Old 3rd May 2022, 04:49

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
My ‘heroic’ contribution, as SATCO XW, was launching the Vulcans with a green Aldis (RT silence of course) with AOC 1 Gp stood beside me. A safe but spine-tingling moment I shall never forget. And deep respect to all those who were there, and did the dangerous and warry things.
I was also on ASI for the launch. I was an off duty Victor trade manager but we had been called in to provide extra "crew in" fault cover. Quite the most amazing thing I have ever seen, the noise, the dust, the whole thing. Quite brilliant.
Old 3rd May 2022, 07:11

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Scott
Seems like quite a lot of work to patch it up, Just file off the rough edges and apply speed tape, surely?!
Internal damage and the size of the hole would have meant needing access to repair internal structure first and then do a fairly standard battle damage repair to complete the job.
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:35

4th May was was pay-back day for the sinking of ARA General Belgrano two days before: Sheffield hit by Exocet (sank under tow) and Nick T killed attacking Goose Green. He was flying the Sea Eagle trials jet which had no RWR and was splashed by radar-laid 35mm. Lots of hand-wringing by the fish-heads that evening contrasting with a considerable hardening of attitude by the WAFUs!

My low flying was put to shame by the late, great Fred, who came face-to-face with a horse when cresting a “ridge” on the run in to Goose Green on the 1st. He was judging his height against the trees - which turned out to be gorse bushes!

Swing the lamp.

Mog

Last edited by Mogwi; 3rd May 2022 at 09:37.
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:41

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Is that the fin they patched then realised they hadn't taken all the shell bits out of it?
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:43

Still got that piece of tail on my study wall.

Mog
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:48

Received 342 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogwi
Still got that piece of tail on my study wall.

Mog
Any chance of getting a picture of it in todays condition for display on this thread? Would be a nice comparison to the picture in the opening post.
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:28

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
Quote. originally Posted by Ken Scott:

Posted by Longer Ron:

Internal damage and the size of the hole would have meant needing access to repair internal structure first and then do a fairly standard battle damage repair to complete the job.
A classic example of Poe’s Law in action…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.