The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Pilot Watch

Old 4th Jul 2022, 03:09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Watch

Because UTC time is so common in aviation, I was wondering if there is any watch out there that can help me convert UTC to LT at a glance. I know about GMT watches but they can only tell you the current LT and UTC, not so useful when figuring out when in LT will future weather conditions occur in a TAF for example. Any recommendations?

Last edited by twojuun; 4th Jul 2022 at 08:51.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 07:19

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by twojuun
Because UTC time is so common in aviation, I was wondering if there is any watch out there that can help me convert UTC to LMT at a glance. I know about GMT watches but they can only tell you the current LMT and UTC, not so useful when figuring out when in LMT will future weather conditions occur in a TAF for example. Any recommendations?
I don't know of any watch that gives LMT. For that, it would require a longitude. Maybe a smart watch with GPS?
But for a simple, reliable and accurate watch (good enough for astro nav) have a look at the Casio G Shock solar watch. It displays dual time zones for anywhere on the planet you'd be likely to visit and can factor in daylight saving times if told to do so. It does not look very sexy, so it doesn't scream 'pilot' (a definite plus, imo...) .
As for converting a forecast UTC to zone time, you must learn to add or subtract hours and half hours between one and 12, using the 24 hour system. This cunning skill takes two seconds without a calculator, and a bit longer if you really must use a calculator for basic math.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 07:31

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts
whilst not exactly what you’re after in a watch, this works well on phone.

you set all your ports and they show as hands on a 24 hour clock then you turn the clock to some point in the future or past and it shows you the time then.

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/world-clock-pro-mobile/id969635117

For. BCMG at 1500, turn the UTC to 1500 and it’ it’ll show the LT if you have it as a time.

Last edited by compressor stall; 4th Jul 2022 at 09:27.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 08:46

Received 411 Likes on 203 Posts
There’s a reason “UTC is so common in aviation”.

Do you really mean LMT? Or do you mean LT?

I though LMT was useful for working out BOD and EOD and not much else.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 08:50

Thanks mate, mental math is probably easier in this case. Operationally speaking, how often will I ever need to convert GMT to local time? Or is that conversion only needed during flight planning? If I dont need to do the conversion often in flight, then I probably will not need a new watch.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 08:51

Ahh I mean LT not LMT. Have edited the original post.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 08:53

Thanks mate, this is exactly what Im after. Operationally speaking, how often will I ever need to convert UTC to LT except for flight planning? Because if its not something frequent that I need to do in flight, then getting a new watch wont be necessary.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 09:23

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
As has been said, you simply find out the time difference from GMT/UTC to the area you are looking at and apply that to the weather reports. 1 hour per 15° longitude, with occasional local variations, e.g. India. iPhones for example will show this if you select World Clock, where you can specify a city and it will show the local time and the UTC offset. Or you could simply ask your search engine what the UTC offset is for xxx.

I would convert the local time you want to know about to UTC and scribble that on the top of the weather report sheet or the back of your plog. Then you can quickly see which reports apply and which don't.

If you want a constant live readout on a watch, this might help. The digital display can show time from certain cities around the World, (not every time zone though), or you can select UTC - in the photo it is set to London, so is the same as the analogue display.
The watch is also solar powered, radio updated and cost me around £100, so is a very good device. It is very light in weight and not too flashy

It has a button to light the whole display at night and has scratch resistant glass too.

Old 4th Jul 2022, 09:30

Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
I though LMT was useful for working out BOD and EOD and not much else.
There are a few places around the planet that give some NOTAM info in local. Generally third world, but happens.

Also, in an unfamiliar timezone I like to double check the UTC departure time against my wake-up time in local to then arrange crew transport. A gross error check.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 09:40

I was under the impression that LMT and LT are different. Do I have that wrong?
Old 4th Jul 2022, 09:46

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
I’ve got a G Shock that has both analog and digital timepieces incorporated.

Prior to that, I’ve had quite a few others over the years with dual time pieces - analog and digital. Plenty of opinions on the market with large variations in price.

The only thing I don’t like about the G Shock is that the seal isn’t fully water resistant as the screen will sometimes fog up due to sweat/moisture. Also I suggest changing the battery yourself to avoid getting ripped of big time. Got quoted about $60 to change the battery in the G Shock, bought a replacement battery from wollies for about $5 and easily fitted it myself.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 10:14

Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
I was under the impression that LMT and LT are different. Do I have that wrong?
I doubt the OP needs the local hour angle and an almanac to use an Astrocompass . I assume he just means local time. Ie AEST BST etc
Old 4th Jul 2022, 10:17

I see the OP has been amended accordingly.

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict there are already a few threads about watches that show 2 different time zones…
Old 4th Jul 2022, 10:25
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan next year, but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Bought a Citizen Promaster over 10 years ago. Was once told that it was the watch as issued to RAAF Pilots at the time but have no idea if that was fact.

It is both Analogue and Digital, the digital being capable of showing GMT (UTC) and the time of 30 Cities around the World.

Also has Date 2 x Alarm, stopwatch and Timer settings.

And is Water resistant, which apparently means it is supposedly capable of being immersed to a certain depth without suffering water ingress. No idea how good but have accidentally taken a swim with mine and no problem. But that was a few years ago.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 11:26

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
I just do what Compressor Stall helpfully suggested. Use the iPhone I leave my watch in Zulu (UTC) when at work.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 11:36

If you have an apple iwatch you can do this.

I have the ‘hands’ set to local time with a dial showing UTC time. Can easily be done with smart watches.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 12:22

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts
Get a Rolex GMT Master II. It will do all that you ask.
Some, with justification, will call it a chunky, wankers watch but it’s probably the only watch that you’ll make money on when you sell it in 5-10 years time. And they really are bullet proof. Big bucks but worth the money especially if you take the appreciation into account.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 13:53

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
Get a Rolex GMT Master II. It will do all that you ask.
Some, with justification, will call it a chunky, wankers watch but it’s probably the only watch that you’ll make money on when you sell it in 5-10 years time. And they really are bullet proof. Big bucks but worth the money especially if you take the appreciation into account.
Nice idea, but try getting one. You can no longer walk into a Rolex dealer and buy a watch as they don't have any. Well maybe some fancy jewelled ones, but not the 'popular' ones and to get a GMT Master, you have to sell your first born to go on a list...
Old 4th Jul 2022, 14:45

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Or just get an Omega watch instead.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 15:35

Originally Posted by Saintsman
Nice idea, but try getting one. You can no longer walk into a Rolex dealer and buy a watch as they don't have any. Well maybe some fancy jewelled ones, but not the 'popular' ones and to get a GMT Master, you have to sell your first born to go on a list...
Exactly this

Although I was luck enough to walk in and buy a GMT Master II after getting my command.
Stupid thing is they're not rare at all, just the whole watch collecting hobby is being ruined by grey market flippers.

Although saying that I did get a call from my AD after buying some other watches there, that my place had come up for a Pepsi.
Was on a long trip and they said if i couldn't pick it up within 3days, it went to the next person on the list. And no I couldn't send anyone else to pick it up. When I explained the manager said OK don't worry next one that comes is yours, that was 3yrs ago...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.