Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

F35B power nozzle braking

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 6th Jul 2022, 19:34

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just reading that the Prince of Wales will be heading to the US East coast and will be conducting further F35 development work

This includes continuing expansion of the rolling vertical landing abilities some while carrying external stores

The article mentions that ‘power nozzle braking’ will be used to assist in stopping the aircraft after touchdown

I understand how that worked on the Harrier but I’m not clear on its functionality in the F35B

Anyone have more details ?
Old 6th Jul 2022, 19:46

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
You may find this thread interesting. 'quicksilver' was a USMC Harrier pilot: View topic - UK MOD in a muddle over F-35C - Program and politics (f-16.net) ME about SRVL HUD video: "Perhaps SRVL braking method has changed, with nozzle not being used? SRVL under test to this day, with few approaches. Note the NOZZLE ICON - left side btm - in the first video. The nozzle goes to 90deg as engine goes to idle under brakes...." & 'quicksilver': "I believe one must pull the LHI (throttle) aft out of the detent in order to command nozzle positions forward of 90 degrees. But, as you suggest, I doubt it’s [PNB] needed at such slow touchdown speeds." An HUGE amount of SRVL info here: View topic - F-35B UK SRVL info - Updated when new/old info available - General F-35 Forum (f-16.net)

Some SRVL info in PDF format 155 pages at SCRIBBLYDIBBLY:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3457...ril-2017-pp155

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 6th Jul 2022 at 20:00.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 20:33
Administrator

Received 286 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by stilton
Just reading that the Prince of Wales will be heading to the US East coast and will be conducting further F35 development work
Are you referring to HMS Prince of Wales?
Spoiler

Old 6th Jul 2022, 21:41

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It must be time for bed. When I read the OP I thought. “Is Charles qualified to do that?”
Old 7th Jul 2022, 02:27

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jump Complete
It must be time for bed. When I read the OP I thought. “Is Charles qualified to do that?”
Depends where he points his nozzle.
Old 7th Jul 2022, 05:39

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jump Complete
Doesn't matter if he isn't, its just a lot more expensive if he runs off the runway.
Old 7th Jul 2022, 08:41

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Charles qualified to do anything?

Sorry, couldn’t resist…..