Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

US Special Operations Command chooses L3Harris’ Sky Warden for Armed Overwatch effort

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

US Special Operations Command chooses L3Harris’ Sky Warden for Armed Overwatch effort

Old 2nd Aug 2022, 12:15

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Pretty it isn't, it looks like the crop sprayer has won

WASHINGTON — U.S. Special Operations Command on Monday announced it has selected the AT-802U Sky Warden, made by L3Harris Technologies and Air Tractor, for its Armed Overwatch program.

The indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract will be worth up to $3 billion, L3Harris said in a release Monday. The initial program contract award is for $170 million.

Air Tractor is an aircraft manufacturer from Olney, Texas, that typically makes firefighting aircraft and agricultural planes such as crop dusters.

Initial production of the Sky Warden will take place at Air Tractor’s facility in Olney. L3Harris will then modify those planes into the Armed Overwatch mission configuration at its Tulsa, Oklahoma modification center, beginning in 2023. L3Harris said work will also take place at its other sites in Greenville, Rockwall and Waco, Texas and Nashville, Tennessee.

Air Force Special Operations Command’s Armed Overwatch program aims to build a fleet of up to 75 flexible, fixed-wing aircraft suitable for deployment to austere locations, with little logistical tail needed to keep them operating.

SOCOM is planning for the single-engine Sky Warden, as AFSOC’s Armed Overwatch plane, to be able to provide close air support, precision strike and armed intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions for counterterrorism operations and irregular warfare.

AFSOC commander Lt. Gen. Jim Slife said last year he hopes Armed Overwatch aircraft will be suited to pressure extremist groups in places like Africa, in which the airspace is essentially uncontested.

The Air Force moved to establish a series of Armed Overwatch planes as it shifted its primary focus — and some of its more complex and expensive-to-operate fighters and bombers — away from combating terrorist groups and violent extremist organizations in places like the Middle East.
https://news.yahoo.com/us-special-op...234924553.html
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 12:38

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
I like. Not everything has to be Mach 2/Stealth/$500m per unit. A bit of economy and diverse capability is a good thing.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 13:17

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
I like. Not everything has to be Mach 2/Stealth/$500m per unit. A bit of economy and diverse capability is a good thing.
With the current success of shoulder launched sam’s in Ukraine, and their ease of both operation and acquisition, this looks like making some US folk extremely vulnerable!
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 14:30

Originally Posted by pr00ne
With the current success of shoulder launched sam’s in Ukraine, and their ease of both operation and acquisition, this looks like making some US folk extremely vulnerable!
Agreed … deployment areas would be a factor. But that’s all part of Threat Assessment, innit! Night NVG capability?
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 14:49

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Ukrainian Frogfeet seem to be surviving.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 14:50

I just realised it's a tail dragger. Is this the first tail dragger to enter service recently with an armed force?
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 14:59

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
All sorts of Baslers and Bird Dogs and even Pilatus UV-20A are used already.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 15:39

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Initially I was thinking the same thing, but I suppose the operational scenario is for a covert special mission and the use of man pads could end up being counter-productive for the enemy. I’m not a special operator though. Hard to imagine that Spec Ops Command didn’t consider the possibilities.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 15:49

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
A bunch of antiaircraft cannon rounds are sitting in Heaven talking.
2cm Flak 38: I hit a Spitfire!
(Approving murmuring)
CRAM 35mm: I stopped a mortar round!
(Surprised murmuring)
14.5x114: I hit an A10!
(Impressed murmuring)
Dshk 12.7x108: I hit a um, er, never mind.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 17:34

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
The likes of al-Shabab won’t have the backing/supplies that Ukraine has from the west. There’s existing brush wars in Africa and thankfully planes aren’t falling out of the sky. This just matches the size of the hammer needed for the threat.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 18:44

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
This aircrafts native habitat is 2 feet (could be 2 inches) above any ground, grass, tress, or below tree top height. You might be able to hear it, but the tree cover will stop you seeing it. If you can't see it, you can't shoot at it.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 19:09

… or quietly at FL100 with small LGB? Presumably capable of being fitted/carried?
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 19:47

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts
uxb99, I'm pretty sure Apache is a taildragger, Blackhawk too. Even the Chinook usually arrives tail first. OK, none of them arrived that recently..
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 20:56

Received 320 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Thud_and_Blunder
uxb99, I'm pretty sure Apache is a taildragger, Blackhawk too. Even the Chinook usually arrives tail first. OK, none of them arrived that recently..
Can confirm that.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 21:36

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Manufacturer's info here:

https://www.l3harris.com/all-capabilities/skywarden
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 10:37

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Paris Air Show 2017

I wandered over to the L-3 chalet and spoke to one of the sales directors who is a former Spectre driver about their At-802 on display and got some swag as well, here are my photos.

Go back in time to Vietnam era and the Jungle Jims out of Hulbert / Eglin were experimenting with light attack aircraft according to my copy of Wayne Mutza excellent book

cheers
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 10:48

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,099 Posts
The look of it reminds me in part of the IL2 Sturmovik

Old 3rd Aug 2022, 11:11

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nomorecatering
This aircrafts native habitat is 2 feet (could be 2 inches) above any ground, grass, tress, or below tree top height. You might be able to hear it, but the tree cover will stop you seeing it. If you can't see it, you can't shoot at it.
Didn't see any mention of a chemtrails dispenser in the weapon's fit...

The fun + games begin when it has to pop-up to engage anything.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 12:36

Originally Posted by uxb99
I just realised it's a tail dragger. Is this the first tail dragger to enter service recently with an armed force?
These aircraft have been around for quite a few years. There was a video around some years back of one chasing and destroying a drug runner in South America. At least on Arab country also operates them.
And they also come with floats used for fire bombing.
Old 14th Dec 2022, 18:31

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Oklahoma ANG

Will Rogers ANG base will receive the Sky Warden establishing Formal Training Unit, next year replacing the MC-12W Liberty:

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Disp...h-new-at-802u/

cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.