Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Acting rank

Old 5th Aug 2022, 21:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acting rank

Just before I PVR, does anyone know if you have to accept acting rank in the RAF? I know you can turn down promotion but I’m not sure on the rules if you are trawled for a post one rank up.
Old 5th Aug 2022, 23:45

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
You don't.
Old 6th Aug 2022, 12:44

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed, you don't - or didn't when I tried it in 1993 "You can't turn it down as it is just a posting!!" quoth my desk officer.

I turned up at Innsworth determined to tell my deskie what I thought of him now that we were the same rank only to find him in the mess celebrating his promotion!!

You can't win.
Old 6th Aug 2022, 17:06

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
radar101. Similar time to you. I was put forward for secondment overseas to an International post one rank up, ( Following the RAF candidate above me failing his interview) . After interview I got the post for U.K. So " Acting Unpaid " . Four years later I was put forward again by UK MoD as our candidate to go for another yet more Senior Post equivalent , requiring another promotion on paper if I stayed in, So I then duly got that post for the U.K. Then came the problem....
The RAF seemingly couldn't handle another paper promotion, so it was suggested that I PVR.. , or return to U.K. in my substantive rank. (!!!) ( "Although we don't really know what we can do in your case"..)

So I PVR 'd and have never looked back since , having left the U.K. for good now 30 years ago . Not what I had originally presumed from the Service.I had joined.....

Last edited by Haraka; 6th Aug 2022 at 18:54.
Old 6th Aug 2022, 18:39

I find the title of this thread very misleading! I was expecting a review of a poor play or movie…….. 😳
Old 6th Aug 2022, 18:55

Very good 👍🤣
Old 7th Aug 2022, 11:19

Gentleman Aviator

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
Chum of mine got Acting Paid for a Loan Service job somewhere, and reverted (from sqn ldr to flt lt) on return. He took great delight in asking in the General Office (in a loud voice) about a "demotion grant" to re-modify his uniforms.........
Old 7th Aug 2022, 14:55

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The hoot in my case was that having being seconded '' outside " by the U.K. , the RAF itself wasn't actually even paying me a dime.. So had they substantiiated my acting rank ,( incidentally supported by a series of Spec . Recs.) from my then substantive , then it wouldnt have cost a penny more than the nothing I was already being paid by the Service..

Ah well , all water well under the bridge now.

Last edited by Haraka; 7th Aug 2022 at 15:29.