Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Mode S

Old 6th Aug 2022, 19:43

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Mode S

Surely Mode S equipment is cheep enough for ALL aircraft to be equipped with it, especially if they are operating in crowded airspace such as the South East of England.

I regularly hear and sometimes see aircraft flying near me including those powered by Merlin engines and not showing up on FR24 or ADS B Exchange. The Merlin engined ones are almost certainly operating out of Biggin Hill and headed to Beach Head.

Why??? The Mk 1 Eyeball is not infallible.

Old 6th Aug 2022, 21:33
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 220 Likes on 134 Posts
The Biggin Spitfires sometimes show up, sometimes not. Haven't seen much of the P-51 though it does occasionally appear on ADSB. No idea if the TP-40 is flying yet...
Old 6th Aug 2022, 22:03

Received 196 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by WB627
Surely Mode S equipment is cheep enough for ALL aircraft to be equipped with it, especially if they are operating in crowded airspace such as the South East of England.

I regularly hear and sometimes see aircraft flying near me including those powered by Merlin engines and not showing up on FR24 or ADS B Exchange. The Merlin engined ones are almost certainly operating out of Biggin Hill and headed to Beach Head.

Why??? The Mk 1 Eyeball is not infallible.
Almost all aircraft nowadays are already equipped with Mode S (those Spitfires included).

But Mode S on its own isn't usually sufficient for an aircraft to be plotted on the flight trackers (unless they are capable of multilateration). I suspect you are really talking about ADS-B, which is a different issue.
Old 6th Aug 2022, 22:18

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FR24 or ADS-B Exchange both use MLAT (multilateration) but this requires four or more groundstations receiving a steady Mode S signal, so a good ground-receiver coverage and, depending on the terrain, an aircraft altitude of a (few) thousand ft at minimum, is required.
With 'ADS-B Out' in the aircraft sending the GPS position, only 1 ground-receiver is needed. But this makes the onboard equipement a lot more expensive. And more complicated to install on historical aircraft...
Old 7th Aug 2022, 22:05

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts
Surely Mode S equipment is cheep enough for ALL aircraft to be equipped with it,
Quick look round the markets shows about £2000 for a light aircraft mode S box and up to £7500 for more sophisticated kit. Knowing the tight budgets of some of my flying buddies I reckon they are a few years away from swapping out their trusty KT76A mode C jobs...

PS Loved the mistyped "cheep" in a thread about " Squawking"
Old 7th Aug 2022, 22:10

Received 196 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ETOPS
PS Loved the mistyped "cheep" in a thread about " Squawking"
Or, more accurately, "squittering". Best not go there.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 05:28
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 220 Likes on 134 Posts
I just had to go somewhere else with that...

Incidentally, Biggin's Mustang was briefly visible yesterday on ADSB-Ex, I didn't see where it went