Wikiposts
Search
Aviation History and Nostalgia Whether working in aviation, retired, wannabee or just plain fascinated this forum welcomes all with a love of flight.

Piper Comanche?

Search this Thread

Old 7th Aug 2022, 16:13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piper Comanche?

Does anyone know the details of the photo below? i.e What, who, where and when. It looks like a Piper Comanche but I am not sure. It is quite a photo. I doubt he has followed the curve of the road.

Old 7th Aug 2022, 16:27

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I suggest that it is a Saab Safir, not a Piper product. Look at the shape of the front of the cowling, and the windscreen. No idea of where when or why.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 16:53
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts
Definitely a Safir and I read the story in a mag or online a few years ago. A new stretch of unopened bypass near Northampton or Coventry or somewhere like that and the pilot couldn't resist. His dad took the pic I think. Actually I think his dad is on the bridge. When? About 1980?

I did a Google lens search on the image and got a Facebook link with details - can't paste it here...

Last edited by treadigraph; 7th Aug 2022 at 17:12.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 17:15

Received 201 Likes on 93 Posts
David Williams flying Safir G-BCFW under the Pixley Lane bridge over the (then) new A41 bypass at Hinstock in December 1983. He was still the owner of the Saab up until a couple of years ago.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 17:30

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to see that he is almost on the right side of the road !
Old 7th Aug 2022, 19:17
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts
Cheers Dave! Did he get away with no agro from the CAA? If memory serves it was an early morning sortie...

You might not want to try it today, seems to be some tree growth encroaching slightly...
Old 7th Aug 2022, 19:42

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I’d rather meet that than the three abreast HGVs coming down the hill the other night as I was going the other way!!

PS Showed the picture to Mrs S and she recognised it straight away, and gave me all the details including names and details.