Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

No more Bell 212 for the AAC

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2022, 08:25

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So that’s it done for Middle Wallop and Brunei. Friday saw the end of the contract and Brunei starts the 6 week close down whilst Middle Wallop has already finished around the end of July.

Any thoughts or dits you’d like to add………

Last edited by NIREP reader; 2nd Oct 2022 at 18:09.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 11:26

Received 330 Likes on 183 Posts
Video on BFBS Brunei’s FB page: https://m.facebook.com/BFBSBrunei/
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 15:23

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Happy memories of excellent co-operation from what was then (1998) 7 Flt AAC - 2 of us Loan Service types were trying to get ATUDB up to speed on NVG and we were... underresourced. Fortunately 7 Flt were able to help us out on a couple of occasions; very grateful. They also took on an offshore SAR task which the ATUDB part of the RCC turned down without even checking with the duty SAR captain (me); first I heard of it was when we went back into work after the weekend. I sometimes wonder if this was the reason Shell set up their own S92 SAR outfit at Seria.

I don't let Wastebook onto the PC, so I can't see the vid. Any word on what will do the job now?
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 16:06

Received 330 Likes on 183 Posts
Any word on what will do the job now?
Puma HC1s - 1563 Flt has been stood up again.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 17:30

Hmmm - Puma vs B212 - I know which I'd rather take into the Brunei jungle pads (the Sperry autopilot/AFCS on the ATUDB 212s was lovely). Just watch out for those hangar doors, fellas.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 17:38

Nigerian In Law

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Happy memories of detachment from 660 Sqn for a 4 month jolly at C Flt (1989). It was all Scouts then. Great flying, particularly supporting the selections. Pleasant evenings in the mess or at the Civil Service club.

Toward the end of my hitch the Sultan's cousin asked the Garrison Commander and Shell Brunei to go dry as he'd developed a more Islamic attitude. Changed the place completely.

NEO
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 18:48

Received 199 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Thud_and_Blunder
I don't let Wastebook onto the PC, so I can't see the vid.
Nice video - perfectly viewable without needing FB on one's PC.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 21:02

Nice video - perfectly viewable without needing FB on one's PC.
Maybe so - but I took one look at all the trackers they wanted to put on the 'puter just to see the vid and decided it wasn't for me.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 18:16

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
Puma HC1s - 1563 Flt has been stood up again.
Puma HC2.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 06:52

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Are 84 Sqdn still operating them?
Old 4th Oct 2022, 08:35

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
Are 84 Sqdn still operating them?
Plan is to replace them with Puma HC2 on interim basis ahead of selection of new medium helicopter which will be permanent replacement.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 13:18

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Plan is to replace them with Puma HC2 on interim basis ahead of selection of new medium helicopter which will be permanent replacement.
contract for the 412s’ ends in March 2023.
Old 12th Oct 2022, 11:49

Received 96 Likes on 51 Posts
1563 Flight has Stood up

According to Benson's FB

'Despite the best efforts of the weather 1563 Flt has recently achieved Initial Operating Capability in Brunei with a further 2 Puma aircraft undertaking air testing prior to being available for tasking and training. Crews are currently undergoing work up training to become day/night environmentally qualified to operate in the jungle ready to support the Jungle Warfare Instructors Course later this month and to provide Medevac capability. =AZV6aoXW7iyuHjrPJgqzRrlChxofjpa5a3rOcuW2QQjbPrN3IHHM2eZQqPv 1guulcZriXAJ-zLcFn5hCuDW_IRucjwNk5sBehRHJMtyaAeZ1RezljfUKk6v6wI4-LSDyJmc&__tn__=*NK-R]#TeamBenson=AZV6aoXW7iyuHjrPJgqzRrlChxofjpa5a3rOcuW2QQjbPrN3IHHM2eZQqPv 1guulcZriXAJ-zLcFn5hCuDW_IRucjwNk5sBehRHJMtyaAeZ1RezljfUKk6v6wI4-LSDyJmc&__tn__=*NK-R]#comdjhc=AZV6aoXW7iyuHjrPJgqzRrlChxofjpa5a3rOcuW2QQjbPrN3IHHM2eZQqPv 1guulcZriXAJ-zLcFn5hCuDW_IRucjwNk5sBehRHJMtyaAeZ1RezljfUKk6v6wI4-LSDyJmc&__tn__=*NK-R]#britishforcesbrunei'

cheers
Old 13th Oct 2022, 16:22

Well, that was educational! Thought I was looking at a misdirected Kerch-Bridge-comment then recognised the islands; so they finally built the causeway, eh?! A lot less fun than the flying-coffin boats, I'll wager...

I wish 1563 all the best, and hope they continue to give the same excellent level of support for which their AAC predecessors could be relied upon. Would still rather have a 212 in some of the smaller pads, though
Old 13th Oct 2022, 17:39

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Would still rather have a 212 in some of the smaller pads, though
They're bigger now.

Old 13th Oct 2022, 20:54

Very nicely done, kudos to 9 PARA RE and the QGE... but I still have a 2001-era handheld GPS with something like 150-160 LS locations carefully entered in Lat/Long using my UK-provided maps (the Brunei-issued ones, using a grid system devised in 1948 or similar, were considered Classified docs) and updated/corrected after each visit. OK, 40-odd of these LS were barrack squares and the like, but that leaves around a hundred jungle sites. I know that ATUDB have moved to S70-only ops (even longer wheelbase than the Puma, I believe), but that's still an awful lot of work for the Sappers (OK, mainly for the Bruneians) if they're serious about keeping sites in use. There was at least one LS in Temburong where the approach had to be made to a river followed by a 200m hover taxi under the canopy to the drop/pick-up point - I wonder if the increase in downwash has a noticeable effect on that, and on jungle winching (deadfall risk and so on).

Thank you for posting the pics, trim.
Old 14th Oct 2022, 08:31

Received 231 Likes on 44 Posts
This thread brings back so many happy memories of being a passenger in the 212 in Brunei in 1999.
Flying out over the tree canopy just after dawn with the mist settling in the dips of the valleys, sitting in the side seat with the door ajar was like the Vietnam movies and surprisingly emotional.
I was a young Lieutenant at the time and looking around at some of the older chaps with so much more experience was quite a humbling experience.
That was until over the slow beat of the blades came the shout of one of the lads - "Get Some, Get Some!"

A couple of weeks later, giving an O Group next to a knife edged HLS the Bell came in slowly and upset the trees.
A branch landed in the middle of us and we paid it no attention, until it slithered across the dirt model and blokes went tumbling down the slope at a great rate of knots to avoid the reptilian intruder.

Those were great days Bros.
Old 14th Oct 2022, 10:47

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 413 Likes on 218 Posts
Very nicely done, kudos to 9 PARA RE and the QGE... but I still have a 2001-era handheld GPS with something like 150-160 LS locations carefully entered in Lat/Long using my UK-provided maps (the Brunei-issued ones, using a grid system devised in 1948 or similar, were considered Classified docs) and updated/corrected after each visit. OK, 40-odd of these LS were barrack squares and the like, but that leaves around a hundred jungle sites. I know that ATUDB have moved to S70-only ops (even longer wheelbase than the Puma, I believe), but that's still an awful lot of work for the Sappers (OK, mainly for the Bruneians) if they're serious about keeping sites in use. There was at least one LS in Temburong where the approach had to be made to a river followed by a 200m hover taxi under the canopy to the drop/pick-up point - I wonder if the increase in downwash has a noticeable effect on that, and on jungle winching (deadfall risk and so on).

Thank you for posting the pics, trim.
Thud, I don’t think you operated the Puma in the jungle but many others successfully did, in Belize. I was sent out there to learn how to operate the aircraft two months after joining my first Squadron. As far as suitable landing sites goes, all that’s needed is a platoon of Gurkhas either roping in, winching down, or hover jumping on the required site. Come back half a day later, this time you’ll be able to land on to pick them up. We landed on pads designed for AAC Scout helis, btw.

The HC1 was rather underpowered with 2600 hp but today’s HC2s have a far more useful 3600.
Old 14th Oct 2022, 13:34

Received 498 Likes on 207 Posts
Spunky.....in the Hollywood mode all that seems exotic and entertaining.....in full action mode when it is real bullets coming your way with bright green tracers or even air bursts....it is far more exhilarating and leads to some spilled drink afterwards as your hands shake uncontrollably.

Then getting up the next day and doing it all over again....for a year allows reality to set in re your own mortality.

The best way to ride in the Huey (or 212) is sat on end seat with the door open and half your hind end out over the edge of the floor......a magnificent view! (Of the Ground)
Old 14th Oct 2022, 21:21

We landed on pads designed for AAC Scout helis, btw
Fair go, Shy - that says all that needs to be achieved, apart from the knife-edge ridge jobs for which skids (or the back 2 on a Chinook ) are the ideal stable emplaning/deplaning platform. Re the improved power on the HC2, that will be most welcome - there were locations where the 212 could be a little breathless. I hope 1563 get the chance to operate in Temburong - some lovely hills up to around 6000ft amsl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.