Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Sea Kings to Ukraine

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Sea Kings to Ukraine

Search this Thread

Old 24th Nov 2022, 12:12

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sea Kings to Ukraine

Spoiler

An additional 10,000 artillery rounds will be provided by the UK to help Ukraine defend itself against Russia’s illegal invasion, the Defence Secretary has announced on a visit to Norway. The rounds will enhance Ukraine’s defensive capability and come as the first delivery of Sea King helicopters arrives in Ukraine to provide key search and rescue capabilities.

The Royal Navy provided a six-week programme of Sea King training in the UK for 10 crews of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and associated engineers. The additional military aid comes after Prime Minister Rishi Sunak visited Kyiv at the weekend, where he announced a £50 million package of defence aid. That package included 125 anti-aircraft guns and technology to counter deadly Iranian-supplied drones, including dozens of radars and anti-drone electronic warfare capability. Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: Our Support for Ukraine is unwavering. These additional artillery rounds will help Ukraine to secure the land it has reclaimed from Russia in recent weeks.

The Defence Secretary is visiting Norway where he will host a meeting of the Northern Group of defence ministers onboard the UK’s aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth. The meeting is expected to cover the implications of Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, security developments in Northern Europe, and Sweden and Finland’s NATO membership applications. The Northern Group is a UK initiative which aims to promote more coherent, efficient and effective defence and security co-operation in northern Europe. It comprises 12 nations; Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden and the UK.

The UK is also supplying winter kit to Ukraine’s troops as they continue to battle to liberate their country from Russian forces as winter rapidly approaches – when temperatures are known to sink to minus 20°C and below in parts of the country. Heavy duty sleeping bags and roll mats, combined with heated accommodation and personal winter clothing, will help to prevent cold-related injuries and ensure troops can operate effectively and efficiently.

Read more at
https://helihub.com/2022/11/24/uk-do...ds-to-ukraine/
Old 24th Nov 2022, 12:23

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Being no expert on such things but simply reading that the Sea Kings were built in 1995 and withdrawn from service in 2018, how much in the way of spare and consumable parts and highly experience engineers will it take to keep the Sea Kings operational in Ukraine's winter ?
Old 24th Nov 2022, 12:43

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
The RN had something like 132 SK. That is a lot of Christmas trees.
The Sea King was a pretty reliable beast too, provided what you wanted was just to get airborne and stay there for 4 hours.
The type of SK is also unclear: There are posts about SAR/aeromed usage, pictures of Mk4's, and reports that they are Mk 5's. My guess is they are actually Ex SAR Mk5 frames. If so you don't need to worry about the mission system stuff too much. There is also still a fair bit of UK expertise which can be applied without needing to be anywhere near UKR.
Still, just 3 aircraft is not a lot of capability, but Zelensky has accepted them, so someone sees a use.

N
Old 24th Nov 2022, 13:39

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,173 Posts
These are where they are apparently coming from,
See
https://helioperations.co/somerton

A post on the mil site

The 3 aircraft are ex Royal Navy Mk 5`s that have been operated by Heliops on Portland previously training German aircrews and now Ukranian .... "Dara, Damien and Finlay". Ones up this morning locally while one has already been delivered after a new paint job. Substantial ex MOD Sea King stores held by Heliops which no doubt go with them. Being ex Mk 5`s I believe they are NV capable but in terms or warfare then I think the options are limited.
Don't forget the Indian Navy still operate the type and I believe set up facilities to overhaul the transmissions etc, see links below

https://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/...-Sea-King.html

https://www.indiannavy.nic.in/aircrafts-helicopters

Last edited by NutLoose; 24th Nov 2022 at 13:57.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 17:25

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
How many RN Sea King parts are interchangeable with US built S-61's and US Nav/US Air Force H-3's?

There are plenty of US built 61's still operating with parts support from Sikorsky.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 17:25

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Mk 4s with the DAS would have been a better bet but the Sea King is a good workhorse for basic SH stuff.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 18:11

Originally Posted by SASless
How many RN Sea King parts are interchangeable with US built S-61's and US Nav/US Air Force H-3's?

There are plenty of US built 61's still operating with parts support from Sikorsky.
I remember in the distant passed the Sea King operated by Boscombe was a US built one and i think it had the refuelling points on the starboard side while the Uk ones ones were on the port.. I might be wrong but it was a long time ago.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 21:03

I don't think there are many common parts, the fuselage is a different length (S61 is longer) different engines definitely, the MRGB's might be similar but all ours had the ELS modification. I also think the rotor diameter is different, something that was an issue when they were looking at Carson blades.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 21:54

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ukraine already has a large fleet of sar 225’s ex North Sea and 145’s. What use is another new type requiring far more intensive maintenance per flying hour in addition to a training burden. Someone’s making out like a bandit on this.
Old 24th Nov 2022, 21:57

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Northernstar
Someone’s making out like a bandit on this.
Yup, you got that right.
The following users liked this post:
Old 25th Nov 2022, 01:27

NVG capability? Do the 225’s and the rest have that?

Maybe they are to use them to free up some of the other types for use elsewhere, or dependent on versions procured to use for anti submarine warfare as a possible deterrent for they subs launching missiles? After all they can be armed with torpedos.
Old 25th Nov 2022, 01:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
145's are NVIS compliant from the factory.
Old 25th Nov 2022, 02:01

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts
Perhaps the Ukrainians will have a cunning plan for them.
Old 25th Nov 2022, 22:50

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Start of a new museum, along with a few Russian bits.
Old 26th Nov 2022, 08:37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HeliOps also had a number of Mk.3 Sea Kings in its stores so it will be interesting to see positive evidence of which aircraft are actually in Ukraine. Likewise the H225s .....Whilst there are/ were North Sea examples in store with Heli One any exports to Ukraine have been well hidden under the radar.
Old 27th Nov 2022, 14:46

I rather like the Ukrainian comments

In 1918, one of the greatest modern aircraft designers, Igor Sikorsky from Kyiv, was forced by the Bolshevik coup to move to the United States. A century later, the Sikorsky S-61 Sea King helicopters invented with his genius will defend his native land.
Old 27th Nov 2022, 15:13

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
The contribution of a. handful of aged Sea Kings to the Ukraine effort is a very tiny segment of the contribution Sikorsky the Man, Engineer, and Visionary has made to Aviation and the defense of freedom all around the World.

Old 28th Nov 2022, 12:05

I rather like the Ukrainian comments
Although someone points out he was an ardent Russian Nationalist.

​​​​​​​Still, he made good helicopters.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 14:21

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I remember in the distant passed the Sea King operated by Boscombe was a US built one and i think it had the refuelling points on the starboard side while the Uk ones ones were on the port.. I might be wrong but it was a long time ago.
The Westland product had the pressure refuel point stbd side below the sliding door, making wrestling the connector on for HIFR good fun, and the gravity refuel points were port side. Don't recall ever using them at sea.

N
The following 3 users liked this post by Bengo:
Old 29th Nov 2022, 06:24

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bengo
The Westland product had the pressure refuel point stbd side below the sliding door,

N
Originally not below the sliding door, just beside at the lower left corner ( looking from outside ).

https://www.militaryaircraft.de/pict...2_2838_800.jpg

skadi

Last edited by skadi; 29th Nov 2022 at 06:35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.