Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RCAF - 'Inappropriate' fighter pilot nickname

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Old 29th Nov 2022, 10:21

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Two senior Air Force officers have been charged for allegedly failing to stop a group of fighter pilots from assigning an inappropriate nickname to another member in June.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...erta-1.6666993

Original complaint article here; https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cor...sign-1.6623411

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 29th Nov 2022 at 17:47. Reason: Add hyperlink
Old 29th Nov 2022, 12:38

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah didums! If the Canadian air force has got nothing better to do, perhaps they need to do something else.

I recall the little ditty "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me".
I have been called various names, some of which alluded to my personal appearance. Perhaps my name on this site should be changed in case I'm upset that somebody might think I'm thick.
Old Duffer
Old 29th Nov 2022, 12:52

Received 467 Likes on 191 Posts
Oh Dear! However can we survive such a disaster!

First the Reds now this....whatever will FJ Pilots get up to. next.....dropping bomb on bad guys, shooting down opposition aircraft....there seems to be no limit to what they will do......singing bawdy songs while drinking!

This must be dealt with and harshly and not be left to get completely out of hand.

Odd....helicopter pilots never seem to get themselves into this predicaments......are we that much better behaved or just more sly in the way we go about it?

In my Chinook Unit you earned your Call Sign and once assigned said name you learned to live with it with protests of any kind only making it used in every conversation as often as possible.

Usually they were not flattering to the recipient as they mostly dealt with some act that drew attention to them for some reason that was a bit embarrassing to the name holder.

There was no Appeal Right....you got tagged and that was it.
Old 29th Nov 2022, 12:55

Received 455 Likes on 120 Posts
Irony

The ironic thing is, it wasn’t even the person who received the callsign that complained.

BV
Old 29th Nov 2022, 13:04

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What was this terribly bad name ?
Old 29th Nov 2022, 13:33

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Gittins
What was this terribly bad name ?
LIPS? Quite innocent really until applied to the helmet.
Old 29th Nov 2022, 13:47

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Perhaps a good time to resurrect this thread? Nicknames

Or not. Who knows in these strange times?
Old 29th Nov 2022, 16:20

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
#1 . Blumpkin – 2-1

#2 . Aviary – 5-2

#3 . Felcher – 10-1

Last edited by rugmuncher; 29th Nov 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Spelling correction of a not normally used word :-)
Old 29th Nov 2022, 16:56

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh well, as long as we are still cold-blooded triggermen for the King or CINC, we may just survive this awakening.....
Fixed it for you​​​​​​​
Old 29th Nov 2022, 17:35

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
Fixed it for you
​​​​​​​It can be hard to keep up. Haha. You have new PM too? Oh my.
Old 29th Nov 2022, 18:29

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
I wonder if the two seniors were known as...

Col. Colin "ONYA" Marks and

Lt.-Col. Corey "FETISH" Mask.

Old 29th Nov 2022, 18:56

Received 467 Likes on 191 Posts
Ah yes.....that Thread.....was a good one for sure!

Nicknames
Old 29th Nov 2022, 20:24

Received 123 Likes on 60 Posts
Just imagine.
A 'fighter pilot" with a non politically correct nickname. How appalling! How disgraceful! How unacceptable!

Good thing he's not expected to kill anyone...
Old 29th Nov 2022, 21:09

Received 52 Likes on 15 Posts
Salute!

Times have changed. And while the RAF folks here are talking about "inclusion" and such WRT the females..., USAF has had the gals around for many years, starting in the 70's, and then letting the gals fly fighters by mid-90's.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-...ter-pilot-mom/

I kinda wonder what some of their tactical callsigns were. First T-bird gal was a Mudhen pilot and shorter than me! She was "Fifi". Then was the famous Hawg dirver that came back in reversion mode with lottsa holes in the jet - "Killer Chick"( Kim Campbell). Was she offended?

Gums sends...

Old 29th Nov 2022, 22:44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the original news article it is possibly a tell that

In this case, the sources said, a young, recently-arrived second lieutenant was singled out over a rumour that he'd had a sexual fling during training with another second lieutenant — a woman who was in a committed same-sex relationship.
The female second lieutenant was also on temporary duty with 401 Fighter Squadron, which is co-located with 409 Squadron at Cold Lake. She heard about the derogatory call sign and initiated a complaint that was brought to Mask, the sources said.
Who would be in such a toxic environment where you are trained to be an aggressive killer yet must be fully aware of the diktats of '1984' and the woke, easily offended members of society
Old 30th Nov 2022, 12:16

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyingmac
LIPS? Quite innocent really until applied to the helmet.
I'm old enough to remember a TV show where one of the main characters was known as Hot Lips .... how times must have changed.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 12:37

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
The ironic thing is, it wasn’t even the person who received the callsign that complained.

BV
It rarely is. The recipient of this "terrible" nomenclature is probably mortified about the fuss........at least I'd hope so.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 18:01

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
The Boys from Syracuse

Anyone remember the NY ANG 174th Fighter Wing (now Reaper unit 174th Attack Wing) known as the 'Boys from Syracuse'?? And because of a female pilot , a pentagon pin up complained,

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-from-syracuse

the name got changed but in the article from the other side it was implied she was crap at her in operating the F-16C...in fact very serious issues.

cheers
Old 30th Nov 2022, 18:30

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
FFS...what a bunch of woke wankery...ridiculous...a crass case of chasing the wrong priorities at the expense of operational effectiveness. Political correctness. and ass clownery.
Old 30th Nov 2022, 19:38

Received 52 Likes on 15 Posts
Salute!

@ Dave.... Hot Lips got her name due to a sexual encounter that Radar was broadcasting over the camp speakers via a microphone in her tent and was telling the guy played by Robert Duvall "kiss my hot lips". Was the movie "Mash" and then a very successful TV series.
===========================
From my history:
The Boys from Syracuse was one of the two Guard units we checked out in the Dragonfly back in 1970 and 1971 at Alexandria( before I went to the Sluf). The other was from Baltimore. Talk about bitter folks. They had been flying F-86's and were true "country club" units. To transition to the lowly A-37 that had two seats and two engines and had a completely different mission from the Sabre was a shock.

We also had a unit Green Mountain Boys from Vermont. Oh well, USAF has always been the most PC of the services, and at one time they even made several units change their patches. Symbols of "death" and such went away. Fortunately, the high level commanders changed and by 1980 we got some historic ones back, including the one I wore last day I ever flew the Viper. Somehow the US Navy never got the word and we saw the infamous skull and crossbones on the tails of one of their squad's jets.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 30th Nov 2022 at 19:42. Reason: typos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.