Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Pilot Shortage in Hong Kong

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Pilot Shortage in Hong Kong

Old 21st Jun 2022, 12:16
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hong Kong, SAR.
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets list all the problems. I will start.

- unable to commute
- unable to travel on vacation
- unable to see family on a regular basis
- stuck in hotel room on a layover
- silly amounts of paperwork to do due to covid rules.
- long delays at no extra pay, whole days work for a tpe turnaround
- frequent covid tests
- vindictive rostering that will change your roster to keep you below the 'free' monthly hour zone, can't complain about that anymore as it's not in cos-18
- late rosters
- basings are gone
- temp basings were shambles
- no sympathy from cx
- no flexibility from cx to make life livable.
- no attempt to stem the exodus
- by not seeming to care for loss of 100s of years of experience, experience levels will drop in the flight deck, making it all round just harder work.
- unsure if cx will be sold or will even be able to survive.
- morale is very low, looks like anyone with options is leaving, those that do not will stay and will be miserable.
- all this for less money

who can add a few more?

Last edited by Oasis; 21st Jun 2022 at 13:04.
Oasis is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2022, 01:47
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: cloudcuckooland
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compulsory, uncompensated mini closed loops and quarantine for all passenger flights.
A tracking app that must be illegal in most countries.
AND.....prison is back for you, your crew, and your family if you, or someone on your crew, tests positive.
1200firm is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 06:43
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 50
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, WTF are any of you guys still doing there ?
stevieboy330 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2022, 08:50
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hong Kong, SAR.
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevieboy330 View Post
Seriously, WTF are any of you guys still doing there ?
Why are you here? And if you already left, go bother someone else.
Oasis is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2022, 08:11
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,003
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oasis

I’m ex-KA and I come here weekly, often in astonishment, to see how you are all going and to see what you are all bitching about now. I did almost 20 years in HK and half of my non-aviation friends have left in the last 18 months. It is intriguing, it is sad and how the leftover pilots have been treated horrendous.
Gnadenburg is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2022, 09:20
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Asia
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only reason to stay is for the $$$$!

oh wait...
jimsmitty01 is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2022, 17:54
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is indeed sad to see how a once great airline (I am referring CX, but Dragonair was also a wonderful company) has been brought to a shell of its former self by truly the worst and most self-serving management group in the industry. They took it from what it once was, a place where the employees were motivated, loyal and dedicated (and passionate) to a company that is now lacking in all of those necessary sentiments. A tragedy that will eventually be highlighted in business school as a case study in management failure.
mngmt mole is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 06:56
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: one country, one system
Age: 54
Posts: 413
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do passionate pilots in a great airline fly an ILS differently?


Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 27th Jun 2022 at 08:28.
Sam Ting Wong is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 08:09
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
Do "passionate" pilots in a "great airline" fly an ILS differently?
Over the years I reckon CX and KA crews of old would've completed more flights in difficult conditions than industry average. Safely, expeditiously and without fanfare because they were well-recruited, experienced and well-motivated pilots (and FEs in the day). So if we extend the narrow terms of your "fly an ILS" to the more general and perhaps more appropriate "conduct an airline operation"' then I think, conclusively, yes.
Busbuoy is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 08:44
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Busbuoy View Post
Over the years I reckon CX and KA crews of old would've completed more flights in difficult conditions than industry average. Safely, expeditiously and without fanfare because they were well-recruited, experienced and well-motivated pilots (and FEs in the day). So if we extend the narrow terms of your "fly an ILS" to the more general and perhaps more appropriate "conduct an airline operation"' then I think, conclusively, yes.
Why do you believe so? What were the so called more “difficult” conditions a CX/KA pilot had to endure compared to other companies?
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 09:09
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Runway 25L
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At KA, the sociopathic training department
Auto_Flt_APOFF is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 09:52
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Why do you believe so? What were the so called more “difficult” conditions a CX/KA pilot had to endure compared to other companies?
You misunderstand me sir. The CX/KA of old had a reputation for getting flights done when technical and operational challenges thwarted others.
Busbuoy is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 10:23
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hong Kong, SAR.
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Why do you believe so? What were the so called more “difficult” conditions a CX/KA pilot had to endure compared to other companies?
You tell me why it's the same as other regions..
Oasis is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 10:41
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, what he said.....
Busbuoy is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 12:00
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
You tell me why it's the same as other regions..
Did I touch a sensitive subject? Honestly I couldn’t think of any reason why flying for CX/KA would be more challenging when you compare it to similar companies. But please enlighten me.
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 12:43
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sierra village
Posts: 496
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong View Post
Do passionate pilots in a great airline fly an ILS differently?
Indeed they do. The Approach button has to be caressed with love and passion for the autopilot to respond in kind.
lucille is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 13:09
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gerloz
Posts: 729
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Did I touch a sensitive subject? Honestly I couldn’t think of any reason why flying for CX/KA would be more challenging when you compare it to similar companies. But please enlighten me.
Because flying in to that aviation cesspit that is the PRC on a daily basis for the KA guys was not without its challenges, and the approaches in to the two airports in Hong Kong, and that’s not allowing for the extremes of typhoon conditions, were not on occasion that easy.
CX and KA have had their moments; no autopilot Go Arounds, attempts to fly the 25L ILS at 1500’ because they were “stable” however in the main they did a pretty good job. Compared to some other carriers. A few of which left aircraft in the harbour or upside down on taxiways.
MENELAUS is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 14:10
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hong Kong, SAR.
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Did I touch a sensitive subject? Honestly I couldn’t think of any reason why flying for CX/KA would be more challenging when you compare it to similar companies. But please enlighten me.
It’s not sensitive, but thank you for your consideration.
Go ahead and explain why we have the same issues in the region as anywhere else in the world.

You brought it up, so make your point. I might agree with you if you make a good case.
Oasis is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 16:57
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MENELAUS View Post
Because flying in to that aviation cesspit that is the PRC on a daily basis for the KA guys was not without its challenges, and the approaches in to the two airports in Hong Kong, and that’s not allowing for the extremes of typhoon conditions, were not on occasion that easy.
CX and KA have had their moments; no autopilot Go Arounds, attempts to fly the 25L ILS at 1500’ because they were “stable” however in the main they did a pretty good job. Compared to some other carriers. A few of which left aircraft in the harbour or upside down on taxiways.
PRC pilots manage it (flying in the PRC) with, frankly, an excellent safety record.
Freehills is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 17:06
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
It’s not sensitive, but thank you for your consideration.
Go ahead and explain why we have the same issues in the region as anywhere else in the world.

You brought it up, so make your point. I might agree with you if you make a good case.
it was Busbuoy who was claiming that pilots in CX/KA have completed more flights in difficult conditions. I see no valid reason why but please enlighten me.

Having said this I am not disagreeing with you Oasis on the fact that you guys have different issues compared to crews in other reasons. But having flown on many of the same routes as CX/KA but also many more regions, terrain, warzones etc I am simply wondering why the CX/KA flight conditions are more difficult.
SaulGoodman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.