Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

REX Screws Australian Pilots Again

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Old 11th Nov 2019, 04:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rex gets DOHA approval for 482 visa pilots: NOVEMBER 11, 2019

Rex says it will still preference local pilots, instructors and engineers despite getting approval to hire workers on visas.
Regional Express Airlines has struck a deal with the Department of Home Affairs that will allow the carrier to hire pilots, maintenance engineers and flight instructors from overseas.
Under the five-year labour agreement, foreign workers would be recruited under a subclass 482 temporary skills shortage visa, and could apply for permanent residency after three years.
The deal would allow them to work anywhere in the Rex network which includes 60 destinations throughout regional and remote Australia.
A statement from Rex said the airline “commended the Department of Home Affairs for putting this scheme in place, which will go a long way towards addressing the critical shortage of pilots, aircraft maintenance engineers and flight instructors that has severely impacted the Rex Group and the whole aviation industry in Australia over recent years”.

Rex deputy chairman John Sharp said at the same time, the airline would continue its search for skilled workers in Australia and was 100 per cent committed to supporting local employment.

“The employment of Australian workers will take precedence over skilled workers from overseas,” Mr Sharp said.

“For example, Rex has gone to extraordinary lengths to overcome the critical shortage of pilots by establishing a pilot academy over 10 years to train local cadets to be airline pilots with Rex.”

But he said the labour agreement would provide much needed assistance in helping Rex fill vacancies for pilots and engineers so that it could continue to provide regular public transport services to remote and regional communities.
“The agreement also allows accessibility to more flight instructors and this will bolster our capability to produce more pilots at our state-of the-art pilot academy based in Wagga Wagga, thereby perpetuating the cycle of pilots to meet the needs of the Rex Group and the broader aviation industry in Australia,” said Mr Sharp.

Rex expected to recruit about 20 workers a year under the agreement.

The deal comes as Rex and the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP) await the outcome of a federal circuit court hearing into a letter the airline sent to prospective cadets.
The AFAP claimed the letter constituted “adverse act*ion, coercion and misrepre*sen*tation under the Fair Work Act, and should be retracted with Rex ordered* to pay civil penalties”.
The letter sought to have cadets submit a handwritten letter explaining how they would give back to the company by volunteering to undertake various activities and actions.
AFAP argued this included staying at cheap accommodation, and committing to remaining with Rex for at least seven years.
The matter was heard over three days before Judge Karl Blake in the Federal Circuit Court in Melbourne last month and a decision reserved.

“For example, Rex has gone to extraordinary lengths to overcome the critical shortage of pilots by establishing a pilot academy over 10 years to train local cadets to be airline pilots with Rex.”
Rubbish! Similar to other aviation operators in Australia the have connived, manipulated the system preventing them from spending money on training.

Similarly; set the employment standards high or refuse to lower them enabling them not to train qualified pilots who are more than able to be trained becoming successful airline pilots.

In the past pilots with as little as 275 hours, no twin time or an Instrument rating have been hired, trained to become highly successful multi engine jet transport captains.

When the Global Shortage takes further effect in overseas pilots home countries or the salaries overseas continue to increase do these operators really think the expat pilots will stay here?

Similarly, the time expat pilots spend here will be highly influenced by the high cost of living here (compared to other countries) rapidly declining infrastructure, facilities and general standard of living.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 07:24

Aussie dollar will make it pretty unattractive to anyone really. Europe and the US are both experiencing a shortage of pilots too so not sure where they think they are going to be coming from.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 07:33

Originally Posted by hawkerxp
Aussie dollar will make it pretty unattractive to anyone really. Europe and the US are both experiencing a shortage of pilots too so not sure where they think they are going to be coming from.
South America and South Africa.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 07:37

Received 316 Likes on 121 Posts
Easy way to get residency which is the real prize.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 07:39

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem is (and has been for a while) *suitably qualified* people to hold commands and who want to live where the commands are based.

Typically external people who hold the DEC hours aren’t applying for the jobs, they are looking at JQ, VANZ, VARA, Network etc as FO or QF VA as SO.

Its not possible to argue with the fact that as an absolute minimum to get checked to line as a CPT you need an ATPL and the required hours. If internals don’t have that (or at least the exam component - Rex can issue ATPL as part of 217) and externals aren’t applying, a solution is needed. There is not a shortage of FOs there now.

Old 11th Nov 2019, 08:15

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Will be interesting to see what happens when Jetstar take another 50% of their pilots in the next few months after the applications close.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 08:35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aren’t they just doing the same as what their competitors have done already? Lots of accents across the props now.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 09:52

Received 119 Likes on 46 Posts
This never works out well for Rex.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 10:22

More pilots for Jetstar to nab. Win Win.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 20:59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hawkerxp
Couple of big airlines failed in Europe recently I don’t think there is a shortage there.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 21:20

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a ton of pilots who join second and third level operators, take all the training (costs) and then happily scarper to bigger and better within months. Ive seen too many pilots doing the screwing. I'd like to see you run recruiting or in an operation like this Dark Knight - see if you have the same thoughts about unilateral screwing then.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 22:52

Received 119 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rodney rude
There's a ton of pilots who join second and third level operators, take all the training (costs) and then happily scarper to bigger and better within months. Ive seen too many pilots doing the screwing. I'd like to see you run recruiting or in an operation like this Dark Knight - see if you have the same thoughts about unilateral screwing then.
Rex love screwing. The current operation is a toxic nightmare and the last time we had American and Swedish imports they all left within two years, not because they wanted better things but because Rex refused to pay for the continuation of their visa.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 23:58

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Good to see the selective capitalists at work again. Surprised they haven't wheeled out the old 'Airlines are poaching our pilots' mantra yet.

I always love how pilots have to wear 'market forces' when the employment market is against them with little ability to go anywhere overseas but when the market turns the employers just go and change the rules.......

Funnily enough if REX made it a worthwhile place to work, brought back some country bases to lower cost of living, got rid of temporary bases they might actually retain some staff. I suspect though they aren't really interested in retaining staff.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 00:25

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rodney rude
Oh boo hoo, do you really think a young pilot goes through years of training, expense and anguish to spend their life working for the likes of REX?, who make it clear from day1 that they are not valued and are treated that way. Time to get real! Explain to us why they don't stay, bigger maybe, better definitely.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 04:24

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Why the whinge? REX is a Singaporean company really. Also insurance companies set minimum pilots requirements not the company generally...
Old 12th Nov 2019, 06:55

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmmm, just when the market is about to behave like a market and increase salaries to attract and retain........the market gets tampered with.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 20:09

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Dejavu - you really do have a **** attitude. My point is NOT about loyalty to Rex or any other 2nd or 3rd level operator. My point, which you have totally missed is that its not just airlines doing the screwing. Pilots are good at it too and it goes both ways. GET IT? And its not just at the lower levels - I know 2 guys who have been with one of our jet carriers for just 6 months but are not based where they want to be, so they are both doing interviews now for another airline. So they have no qualms about screwing over the airline that just trained them. Is that right or wrong???????? That's not my point - my point is that for every pilot screwed by an airline as Darky accused Rex of, there is a pilot screwing the other way. Get my point now Deja??? So take your boohoo and stick it up your arse.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 21:11

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Nicely said Rodney!

I can see a padlock coming?
Old 12th Nov 2019, 21:23

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Rex deputy chairman John Sharp said at the same time, the airline would continue its search for skilled workers in Australia and was 100 per cent committed to supporting local employment.

“The employment of Australian workers will take precedence over skilled workers from overseas,” Mr Sharp said.
Horse

With 2700 hours TT mostly Multi crew above 5700 and time on type, I can't even get an Interview
I guess if you can't beat em, join em. Sadly time to apply for the E3.
This country is ed!!

Last edited by beached az; 28th Nov 2019 at 02:00.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 21:27

Horse

With 2700 hours TT mostly Multi crew above 5700 and time on type, I can't even get an Interview
I guess if you can't be em, join em. Sadly time to apply for the E3.
This country is ed!!
Sums it up perfectly. I doubt you'll regret getting out of this backwater. E3 won't be sad for you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.