Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

NZ Volcano eruption on White Island

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 9th Dec 2019, 12:43

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Early reports are often unreliable.
50 tourists were thought to be on the island and 23 have been accounted for so far, five of them confirmed dead. Every survivor had injuries
Some tourists were from the cruise ship Ovation of the Seas.
This link shows a damaged AS 350 (?) adjacent what looks to be a raised pad.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...no-new-zealand

2018 Video of heli operations.
Mjb

Last edited by mickjoebill; 9th Dec 2019 at 13:38.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 15:06

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,168 Posts
White Island Eruption

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-50711958

Third image down, abandoned Helicopter? centre right, hope everyone is ok. Looks like a damned good force landing.

Last edited by NutLoose; 9th Dec 2019 at 15:19.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 15:09

Another video showed the wreckage of a helicopter that had been flying over the island when the eruption happened.
Volcanic Air, a tour company based in Rotorua, later confirmed that the pilot and four passengers were unharmed and had returned to the mainland via boat on Monday afternoon.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...-island-erupts

https://volcanicair.co.nz/fleet/
Old 9th Dec 2019, 17:31

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
I suspect that the AS350 in that picture was not flying over the island but was on the ground. You can visit White Island via a boat trip of several hours or via a 30 minute helicopter ride. Both tours leave from the closest town - Whakatane (pronounced with an F).

White Island is described as New Zealand's most active volcano, but the activity is mostly steam from fumaroles and a nearly-boiling crater lake. There are occasional, infrequent explosive discharges of steam and ash (phreatic eruptions) like yesterday's. There has not been eruption of lava in at least 200 years.

When I visited White Island ten years ago, R44s were being used and one was already on the ground when we arrived. The landing area is about 700 m from the active crater lake which is consistent with the location of the AS350 in Nutloose's picture.

Helicopter landing area with the crater in the background:

Fumaroles. The steam is continuously venting with a sound like a large, subterranean steam-engine. A strong sulphur smell in the air:

Crater lake - 90º C and a pH similar to battery acid:

Our pilot/guide returning to the helicopter. We were issued with hard hats and respirators, but I imagine these would not have been much use in yesterday's eruption:

White Island is private land. I suspect that after this accident, the rules may change or it may even be taken over by the government:

Last edited by India Four Two; 9th Dec 2019 at 17:43.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 17:46

What do you think accounts for the rotor damage, the eruption?
Old 9th Dec 2019, 17:48

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
What do you think accounts for the rotor damage, the eruption?
My guess is a big rock coming down. It's not only ash that gets thrown upwards during an eruption....
Old 9th Dec 2019, 18:17

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
My guess is a big rock coming down.
I agree. See the rocks in the foreground of the first picture I posted. They were parts of the crater wall, blown out during an eruption.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 18:24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote" "White Island is private land. I suspect that after this accident, the rules may change or it may even be taken over by the government"

That isn't how the Govt works in NZ. They won't take over the island. There will certainly be a look over operations to the island, especially considering the eruption risk recently increased.

People tend to forget that it is VERY active. There are still 10 bodies there somewhere from 1914 when the Sulphur mine disappeared in a mud slide. Only the cat survived.

We regularly had Tsunami drills at school. The crater is barely above sea level and if it does blow, the rapid influx of sea water would set up a catastrophic explosion similar but smaller to Krakatoa. In my town we had 4 minutes (from very distant memory!) to get out. So our drill was to hide under our desks. Hmmmmm.

It is an unforgettable experience walking in the crater. Even more so when you come to the end of the path, only to find that the path did continue on the day before but has now been swallowed by the volcano!
Old 9th Dec 2019, 20:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to fly tours out there for the red rash early in my career. White Island experiences 100's of earthquakes a day somedays but mostly only minor and you'd never know unless you were looking at the seismographs. About the end of my time there I spent two days with the geologists ferrying them around while they installed equipment. That was around the time of the first of the big Christchuch quakes in around 2010/11. We were on our way out when all their phones started pinging, much conversation followed in the aircraft about CHCH going off. WI is a very interesting place and as was said above eye opening when a section of track that you walked yesterday or this morning isn't there anymore. I would not be surprised if this quake is just a warm up.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 20:24

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
According to reports in NZ, four helicopters landed on White Island in the immediate aftermath of the eruption, and rescued all the victims who were accessible - the eight left behind had almost certainly already passed away. One machine was a HEMS, the others were private aircraft.
The pilots - and the onboard paramedic(s) in the HEMS - willingly took themselves and their aircraft into an extremely hazardous landing zone: the wrecked machine shown in the first post being a visible warning to them all. For all any of them knew, the volcano could let loose again at any time.

Thanks and major applause to those crews
Old 9th Dec 2019, 20:31

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well done these crews... Respect and admiration. Fly safe and sad condolences to families of those who did not escape in time.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 22:10

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I did a trip to White Island in 1997 about a year before I moved from Gisborne to Wairarapa.

It was with a company called Vulcan Helicopters, but I don't think they exist any more.

We flew out there in a Hughes 500, four of us plus the pilot.

It was an amazing trip, but I got the feeling it could potentially be a very dangerous place and the air was full of sulphur fumes.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 22:12

And as for talk about banning tours to White Island … New Zealand loses hundreds of people in motor vehicle crashes on our roads every year.

So does this mean we should ban using motor vehicles on roads? After all, motor vehicle crashes kill many, many, many times more people than volcanos do in NZ.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 23:19

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
What is that four engined fixed wing type in the background of the second photo?
I might be miles off with this but bearing in mind there was a company called Vulcan, could the fixed wing be this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vulc...Jlbeq-k9OOlpM:

Not sure if a Vulcan even went to NZ
Old 9th Dec 2019, 23:25

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nomorehelosforme

I might be miles off with this but bearing in mind there was a company called Vulcan, could the fixed wing be this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vulc...Jlbeq-k9OOlpM:

Not sure if a Vulcan even went to NZ
Guys, my photo was of my first JetRanger after being caught in a volcanic eruption in Rabaul, many years ago. It wasn't NZ nor White Island.

Here's a further image of the Volcanic Air AS350 from yesterday

Old 9th Dec 2019, 23:57

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
Blown off its perch John!

Re Post 15..
What is that four engined fixed wing type in the background of the second photo?
Looks like a Cessna 402 with its engines (and front cowls) removed.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 01:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read a news article, the chickenlickens are already asking why people are allowed to go there? OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10th Dec 2019, 01:56

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Autonomous Collectiv
Just read a news article, the chickenlickens are already asking why people are allowed to go there? OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!
I’m already hoping to plan a trip there
Old 10th Dec 2019, 02:22

Received 391 Likes on 206 Posts
News last night had an unfortunate video taken from an elevated position of a party of about four individuals walking a path close to the crater a minute before it blew. RIP I assume.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 03:59

Originally Posted by Autonomous Collectiv
Those chickenlickens should be asking why people are allowed to drive motor vehicles on New Zealand's roads.

Motor vehicle crashes on NZ roads kill hundreds of people every year … way more than any volcano has ever killed in New Zealand, including the Mount Tarawera eruption and the Tangiwai rail disaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.