Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Light plane flips at Moorabbin airport, trapping pilot

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Old 12th Dec 2019, 01:20

Location: Next door to the neighbor from hell, who believes in chemtrails!
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The pilot of a light plane was trapped after the aircraft flipped at an airport in Melbourne's southeast.

Emergency services were called to Moorabbin Airport just before 10am to find the training aircraft on its roof.

The pilot, believed to be aged in his 20s, was trapped inside and crews established a foam hose line as a precaution while the MFB set him free.

Emergency services were called to Moorabbin Airport just before 10am to find the training aircraft on its roof. Credit: 7NEWS The pilot was seen being loaded into an ambulance just before 10.30am.

He has been taken to The Alfred Hospital in a serious condition.

DF.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 01:29

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Reported on news media to be a Bristell from "Soar Aviation"
Old 12th Dec 2019, 02:43

Received 167 Likes on 94 Posts
I heard someone was seen under the wreckage shortly after, trying to read the VDO to work out how much to charge the student for that flight.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 02:51

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts
What a truly cooked operator that this company is.

Saw a fellow Soar Technam take off for Essendon as the Bristell lies upside down surrounded in emergency vehicles.

There is no time to suspend the operation, more money has to flow into old mate's wallet!
Old 12th Dec 2019, 03:30

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
"I heard someone was seen under the wreckage shortly after, trying to read the VDO to work out how much to charge the student for that flight."

now thats funny !
Old 12th Dec 2019, 03:49
When you live....

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
I heard someone was seen under the wreckage shortly after, trying to read the VDO to work out how much to charge the student for that flight.
They'll add .3 for the taxi time saved.....
Old 12th Dec 2019, 04:30

Received 203 Likes on 89 Posts
Hope the stude is OK.

Re the VDO, Remember who is paying for those flights, it's us mug taxpayers topping up Mr Young Rich List's millions through the VET system. We've paid for our flying... now we have to pay him for theirs.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 06:07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks to be taxiway Echo 2 just off runway 13L (to the right in the photo) about half way down the runway.
OR 17L is to the left of the photo, but much closer to the threshold
Old 12th Dec 2019, 07:35

Originally Posted by Clare Prop
Hope the stude is OK.

Re the VDO, Remember who is paying for those flights, it's us mug taxpayers topping up Mr Young Rich List's millions through the VET system. We've paid for our flying... now we have to pay him for theirs.
It’s a loan from the government that the student pays back once they earn $45,881 gross. It even includes interest, so in some ways, the government is actually profiting from the students, assuming that one day they actually more than $45,881.

I don’t know anyone of my crowd that haven’t paid back their loans.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 07:59

I know how it works...plus there has been plenty of discussion about it on other threads here. It doesn't charge interest but is index linked. There has already been one AAT decision to refund these loans and I understand there are several more cases being considered. Those refunds aren't going to come from the school owner's pocket, are they?
Old 12th Dec 2019, 08:14

Originally Posted by Clare Prop
Those refunds aren't going to come from the school owner's pocket, are they?
Absolutely they will, or the associated education provider.

The Government won’t be handing out millions with no strings attached !
Old 12th Dec 2019, 08:50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700

It’s a loan from the government that the student pays back once they earn $45,881 gross. It even includes interest, so in some ways, the government is actually profiting from the students, assuming that one day they actually more than $45,881.

I don’t know anyone of my crowd that haven’t paid back their loans.
Slight thread drift.... but I know many ex students who still have it hanging over their heads and will do for many many years to come. Not to mention the ones that left the country and now don't pay it back at all (unless they return and pay Aussie Tax at some point in their future).
Old 12th Dec 2019, 08:59

Originally Posted by Stretch06
Slight thread drift.... but I know many ex students who still have it hanging over their heads and will do for many many years to come. Not to mention the ones that left the country and now don't pay it back at all (unless they return and pay Aussie Tax at some point in their future).
Was discussing this today with some colleagues. Certain countries (particularly Asian ones) don’t allow dual citizenship so it’s not all that common for them to leave the country and not come back. This is because you can only get the loan as a permanent resident.

As the student pilot put in that post on the other thread about this, many of the students were are older age guys with half-decent jobs, looking to change careers and many have families.... generally not the type to get up and run away.

Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:44

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stretch06
International students can't get FEE HELP. It's now a rule that you must repay your loan no matter where you live.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 12:12

So what is it now? Three Bristells in the last two years or so, all in Victoria.

I hope the young chap is ok.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 13:04

There is a link to an article on the "rich list" thread that states that 98% of the students were relying on VET funding. From memory about 20 were going to the AAT about getting a refund.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 20:29

Are there any more details about the actual crash incident?
Old 12th Dec 2019, 20:46

Without going too much into the hearsay, I've heard that the pilot was not supposed to be flying this plane for a number of reasons. This could get VERY interesting for Soar.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 21:21

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah...can anyone comment on how this yellow tweety bird found itself in this predicament?

Also, love it when they say Emergency Services "Found" it on its roof, like they turned up for something unrelated, "Oh, bob, check that out, you think that thing is meant to be on it's roof over there? Guess we better go check on it?"
Old 12th Dec 2019, 21:43

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Click for the ATSB report

“The ATSB is investigating the collision with terrain involving a Bristell S-LSA aircraft, registered VH-YVF, at Moorabbin Airport, Victoria, which occurred at about 0950 on 12 December 2019.

During final approach for a touch and go landing, the aircraft is reported to have pitched up steeply and yawed resulting in collision with terrain. The pilot, the only person on board, was seriously injured. The aircraft was substantially damaged.

As part of the investigation, the ATSB will examine the accident site and the aircraft wreckage, interview air traffic control and other relevant personnel, and conduct data recovery.

A report will be released at the end of the investigation. Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant stakeholders so appropriate and timely safety action can be taken.”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.