Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

Airbus Autothrust book

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

Airbus Autothrust book

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 11:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Autothrust book

I’ve just seen this book come up on eBay. It looks really good, especially as I hope to start an Airbus course soon.

Can anyone recommend it, or otherwise before I bid? Thanks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F114118201553
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 11:48

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sink Rate
I’ve just seen this book come up on eBay. It looks really good, especially as I hope to start an Airbus course soon........
It depends why you want a book about it. If you just want to learn how Airbus auto-thrust works or how to use it, then the FCOM and FCTM are quite adequate.

Airbus FBW auto-thrust is intuitive and very easy to use - much more so than Boeing 737 in my opinion, (and I have flown both). Yes, you have to scan the engine instruments and the speed trend arrow to know what is going on with thrust, but that is no bad thing and also very easy to do.

I would save your money unless you need a deeper understanding for reasons other than line flying.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 12:06

SmarCockpit and a few other websites have all the info you need on the A320 systems.

And I would not be surprised if I found exactly that content on SmartCockpit.
​​​​
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 12:39

If you start an airbus course concentrating on just one system is probably not a good idea. The FCOM has all the system information, although it is still a horrible mess compared to other manufacturers. That said, up to date information from the company you do your training with is the most relevant thing.

A book i personally found useful for my A320 course was „Airbus A320 An Advanced Systems Guide“ from Ben Riecken on iBooks. The original airbus CBT was basically nothing but an extended A320 commercial with little practical value. However, the primary reference should always be the documentation given, especially FCOM, FCTM and if they have it, the OMB as the most important manual.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 14:16

Autothrust

I mean, you shouldn't need to buy a book just on autothrust. It's very simple to use. But it only cost £0.99 so why not.ifnyoure interested.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 20:15

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This one you need before starting the course: http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A32...For_Pilots.pdf
(or any newer edition of).

Once you start, invest a little and go print a physical copy of FCTM and QRH section "SOP", laminate the latter.

You'll have a blast, do not exhaust yourself unnecessarily. Self-learning on the Airbus could be detrimental to the end-result.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 03:41

You can find some videos on Youtube.
Otherwise, from Airbus WIN they made a nice short video about it. Go in « Flight guidance » and you will find it.
https://www.airbus-win.com/