Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

The Coming Battle

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

The Coming Battle

Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Coming Battle

I must begin by stating that what I am about to say is strictly my personal opinion, nothing more. It’s fair to say I’ve been wrong on many occasions… Regardless, this will prove a defining moment in the careers of every current CX pilot. Difficult times come to nearly all careers, but how the individual deals with the facts of those circumstances determines the long-term outcome of their careers.

The one certainty in the present time is that our business/company will never be the same again. Regardless of people’s desire to travel, it is almost assured that the industry will be subject to many new regulations regarding “social distancing” and enhanced health requirements. There will be huge new costs to comply with that, and I believe overall we will not see the early 2020 travel figures returning for several years at best.

CX management is not going to let this opportunity pass. I have it on good authority that there are significant changes coming to the base contracts, and then once that has been settled, to the HK pilots contracts. I don’t like stating that, but you can be assured of threats of changes to come. Unfortunately, CX management have been handed the most significant set of circumstances imaginable from a standpoint of advantage in negotiation with their employees. They will not allow that opportunity to pass without attempting an assault on your present conditions. Simply put; if they don’t attack now, how could they ever again justify action when times have improved?

With attempted change assured, what are the collective pilot unions of CX to do? They should be seeking one goal; to insist on a wholesale change of management, and significant changes to lifestyle choices. The reason being is that it can be fairly argued that such changes will benefit the company as well as the individual. The only other option is to accept that all advantage the pilots had is now gone, and individually make plans to move on when times return to a semblance of normality.

What should not be accepted is that there is only a one-way movement of advantage. The company WILL seek that outcome. It is imperative that the unions unite and insist on actual change at the top, and certainly in policy and procedure. The irony to all of this is something that the company does not want you to realise: when you have effectively nothing to lose, then you actually have power in your situation. Once the job has lost much of its value, then the concern of losing the job actually loses much of its effectiveness. The company has long understood that, and is actually fearful of you having that awareness. In the past few years, they became quite concerned at the number of resignations, and were (and are) concerned in ultimately having enough pilots for the inevitable expansion that will come in a few years time (why do you think that we STILL have new cadet joiners almost every week, with no change in sight to that reality)?

In the meantime, you need to manage your own careers and expectations. CX will certainly attempt a head-on attack at some point. That is probably unavoidable. They will attack the bases, with the belief that probably 30% will not come back to HK, thereby eliminating many senior pilots. Better to resolve to return, and insist the company bear those costs. If they understand that every one of you WILL return, then the threat becomes much diminished, to the point that the company may not follow through with their strategy (and if they do, then you at least can take the most cost intensive option available, and know that the company miscalculated). The secret to winning a guerilla war is to make your enemy understand that you are willing to go just that much further than they are. If the company threatens, simply tell them that you are happy to return to HK, on your full housing entitlement, and then be prepared to follow through no matter what. If they understand you are serious then there is a very high likelihood that they will back down. Resolve now to know how you will respond, and don’t give them the light of day towards succeeding in their plans. The real power is in your resolute determination to not buckle to their threats. Under NO circumstance must any of you suggest to the company that you will buckle and “resign under protest”. That would certainly play into their hands.

No doubt we are going through difficult times, and the landscape of our industry has significantly changed. The main thing is to remain calm, focused and resolved to maximise what advantage you each have as individuals, and as a collective group. Certainly you do not want to exhibit weakness and fear to a management like CX’s at a time like this.

The current circumstance will quickly improve. That is why it is important to recognize that an attack now is only opportunism from the company. Resolve to give them the answers they least expect and you will certainly obtain the best outcome possible. From my experience, the collective wisdom and intelligence of the pilot group is far greater than that of our management. Your intelligence, work ethic, street smarts and long-term focus is certainly more than capable of overcoming the typical arrogance, myopic smugness and character weakness of most of the senior Swire management that will attempt to attack you and your families. I met and opposed many of them over a 30 year period, and they were all woefully ill-equipped on final analysis. Prepare now, and you will overcome any adversity. After all, that is your one great advantage: you have character and integrity, and nearly all your adversaries lack both qualities.

Traf

ps. that last sentence applies imho to all but one: the current son of a long lost CEO. He would prove a good leader of CX at some point in the future, as he seems to have something sorely lacking in most of our Swire managers...a soul and a conscience.

pps. reference the above; he's not "Politically Correct"...which you can refer to my previous thread for context.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 9th Apr 2020 at 10:22.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 09:59

Excellent post.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree wholeheartedly Traf, and with your 'choice' of a new leader...top bloke.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 11:27

Originally Posted by Trafalgar
I must begin by stating that what I am about to say is strictly my personal opinion, nothing more. It’s fair to say I’ve been wrong on many occasions… Regardless, this will prove a defining moment in the careers of every current CX pilot. Difficult times come to nearly all careers, but how the individual deals with the facts of those circumstances determines the long-term outcome of their careers.

The one certainty in the present time is that our business/company will never be the same again. Regardless of people’s desire to travel, it is almost assured that the industry will be subject to many new regulations regarding “social distancing” and enhanced health requirements. There will be huge new costs to comply with that, and I believe overall we will not see the early 2020 travel figures returning for several years at best.

CX management is not going to let this opportunity pass. I have it on good authority that there are significant changes coming to the base contracts, and then once that has been settled, to the HK pilots contracts. I don’t like stating that, but you can be assured of threats of changes to come. Unfortunately, CX management have been handed the most significant set of circumstances imaginable from a standpoint of advantage in negotiation with their employees. They will not allow that opportunity to pass without attempting an assault on your present conditions. Simply put; if they don’t attack now, how could they ever again justify action when times have improved?

With attempted change assured, what are the collective pilot unions of CX to do? They should be seeking one goal; to insist on a wholesale change of management, and significant changes to lifestyle choices. The reason being is that it can be fairly argued that such changes will benefit the company as well as the individual. The only other option is to accept that all advantage the pilots had is now gone, and individually make plans to move on when times return to a semblance of normality.

What should not be accepted is that there is only a one-way movement of advantage. The company WILL seek that outcome. It is imperative that the unions unite and insist on actual change at the top, and certainly in policy and procedure. The irony to all of this is something that the company does not want you to realise: when you have effectively nothing to lose, then you actually have power in your situation. Once the job has lost much of its value, then the concern of losing the job actually loses much of its effectiveness. The company has long understood that, and is actually fearful of you having that awareness. In the past few years, they became quite concerned at the number of resignations, and were (and are) concerned in ultimately having enough pilots for the inevitable expansion that will come in a few years time (why do you think that we STILL have new cadet joiners almost every week, with no change in sight to that reality)?

In the meantime, you need to manage your own careers and expectations. CX will certainly attempt a head-on attack at some point. That is probably unavoidable. They will attack the bases, with the belief that probably 30% will not come back to HK, thereby eliminating many senior pilots. Better to resolve to return, and insist the company bear those costs. If they understand that every one of you WILL return, then the threat becomes much diminished, to the point that the company may not follow through with their strategy (and if they do, then you at least can take the most cost intensive option available, and know that the company miscalculated). The secret to winning a guerilla war is to make your enemy understand that you are willing to go just that much further than they are. If the company threatens, simply tell them that you are happy to return to HK, on your full housing entitlement, and then be prepared to follow through no matter what. If they understand you are serious then there is a very high likelihood that they will back down. Resolve now to know how you will respond, and don’t give them the light of day towards succeeding in their plans. The real power is in your resolute determination to not buckle to their threats. Under NO circumstance must any of you suggest to the company that you will buckle and “resign under protest”. That would certainly play into their hands.

No doubt we are going through difficult times, and the landscape of our industry has significantly changed. The main thing is to remain calm, focused and resolved to maximise what advantage you each have as individuals, and as a collective group. Certainly you do not want to exhibit weakness and fear to a management like CX’s at a time like this.

The current circumstance will quickly improve. That is why it is important to recognize that an attack now is only opportunism from the company. Resolve to give them the answers they least expect and you will certainly obtain the best outcome possible. From my experience, the collective wisdom and intelligence of the pilot group is far greater than that of our management. Your intelligence, work ethic, street smarts and long-term focus is certainly more than capable of overcoming the typical arrogance, myopic smugness and character weakness of most of the senior Swire management that will attempt to attack you and your families. I met and opposed many of them over a 30 year period, and they were all woefully ill-equipped on final analysis. Prepare now, and you will overcome any adversity. After all, that is your one great advantage: you have character and integrity, and nearly all your adversaries lack both qualities.

Traf

ps. that last sentence applies imho to all but one: the current son of a long lost CEO. He would prove a good leader of CX at some point in the future, as he seems to have something sorely lacking in most of our Swire managers...a soul and a conscience.

pps. reference the above; he's not "Politically Correct"...which you can refer to my previous thread for context.

Totally agree.Another masterpiece for the snowflakes to ponder.
PS so CEO.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 13:35

do these two never get tired of the sound of their own voices?

Trafalgar: *Says anything*
Unitedabx: *yeah so true!!*

you're retired! it's getting SAD!
Old 9th Apr 2020, 13:59

Spot on Traf. It's happening even as we speak.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 15:05

Dsteve. I suppose the truth is a problem for you. I get it. It is for our management as well. If Trafalgars comments are "sad", then i'm all for more "sadness".
Old 9th Apr 2020, 16:15

It’s amazing how much you are prepared to bleat from the sidelines of your comfortable retirement, Traf.
Let’s see the real man (or woman) you are, you self-appointed prophet of doom. Reveal your true identity, so we mere mortals can evaluate your missives based on your credentials and reputation when you sat idly doing sweet bugger all and raked your fortune at Cathay.
You polish your hindsight with such glee, I’m surprised you haven’t suffocated on your total ignorance which is far superior to your knowledge. You mouse.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 16:22

A bunch of old men bashing their keyboards about their previous lives. time to move on guys, nobody wants/needs all this self professed experience...

Other than the little fan club, nobody cares! Think about that before posting a reply ok?

Old 9th Apr 2020, 16:34

Received 359 Likes on 208 Posts
I think to call for a "Battle" with the Company just as thousands of aircraft and hundreds of thousands of staff worldwide are laid off, furloughed and left sitting at home is probably the stupidest strategy I've ever heard of - probably since the UK Miners decided to go on strike in spring rather than fall....................
Old 9th Apr 2020, 17:00

Asturias ,
‘Trafalgar was not calling for " battle " as you suggested , just that we should be prepared For what is Inevitably coming
Old 10th Apr 2020, 01:14

What do you think's coming? COS18 for everyone. That, or 3-month's notice?
Old 10th Apr 2020, 02:46

Neither, Eskimo.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 03:45

Originally Posted by Dsteve
do these two never get tired of the sound of their own voices?

Trafalgar: *Says anything*
Unitedabx: *yeah so true!!*

you're retired! it's getting SAD!
Dsteve, I get it. I fully understand your position. A few years ago you thought you would become an airline pilot and you wanted to join "the Best". In those days it was CX due to the professionalism and integrity of pilots like Traf. They helped build the reputation of this airline where celebrities ranging from kings to prime ministers and rock stars begging to be permitted to sit behind a CX pilot as he flew the IGS. CX pilots were revered throughout the industry. Then more expansion and the standards to get into CX were dropped. Slashed in fact to accept people like YOU. No work opportunities in your home backwater. The prospect of flying a light twin in the outback for the rest of your life. A salary just above minimum wage. So you jumped at the terms and conditions offered by CX. You have no integrity, no professional pride or standing. You're just a little man in a shiny jet that 30 years ago wouldn't have been eligible to wash the outside of it let alone fly it. Henpecked by your wife who thought she was marrying a real jet pilot, someone with the right stuff, you are now stuck in a company that is ruthless and taking every opportunity to screw the class of pilot it recruited not so long ago to replace the elite it once had.
Suck it up Dsteve. You were second rate when you were recruited. They knew it. Your predecessors knew it and sadly you knew it too. You will never be the pilot Traf was/is and it is that fact that eats away at you each night. Traf has earned his retirement. Have you ?
Old 10th Apr 2020, 04:17

Originally Posted by unitedabx
Dsteve, I get it. I fully understand your position. A few years ago you thought you would become an airline pilot and you wanted to join "the Best". In those days it was CX due to the professionalism and integrity of pilots like Traf. They helped build the reputation of this airline where celebrities ranging from kings to prime ministers and rock stars begging to be permitted to sit behind a CX pilot as he flew the IGS. CX pilots were revered throughout the industry. Then more expansion and the standards to get into CX were dropped. Slashed in fact to accept people like YOU. No work opportunities in your home backwater. The prospect of flying a light twin in the outback for the rest of your life. A salary just above minimum wage. So you jumped at the terms and conditions offered by CX. You have no integrity, no professional pride or standing. You're just a little man in a shiny jet that 30 years ago wouldn't have been eligible to wash the outside of it let alone fly it. Henpecked by your wife who thought she was marrying a real jet pilot, someone with the right stuff, you are now stuck in a company that is ruthless and taking every opportunity to screw the class of pilot it recruited not so long ago to replace the elite it once had.
Suck it up Dsteve. You were second rate when you were recruited. They knew it. Your predecessors knew it and sadly you knew it too. You will never be the pilot Traf was/is and it is that fact that eats away at you each night. Traf has earned his retirement. Have you ?
wow.....let me get the popcorn
Old 10th Apr 2020, 04:52

Originally Posted by unitedabx
Come on @unitedabx, don't sugar coat it, tell him what you really think. Jeez

STP
Old 10th Apr 2020, 05:02

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Wow - I don't even work at Cathay, so I can't really comment, but some guys got a real big head !!!! It must feel amazing to be such a hot shot !!!! I can only dream !!! One thing I know for sure, once I am retired I definitely won't hang around on here !!!!
Old 10th Apr 2020, 05:34

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
United don’t be a c@nt every day. Take the odd day off. In fact, ring up your mate Willy Walsh, get him to lay on a dedicated flight to Madrid, just for you, then ring up your personal acquaintance King Felipé of Spain so that you can get dispensation to drive to your place in Spain, (as apparently you can’t get down there with your well paid “in excess of an CX FO” executive jet job) and take your PSOF mate Traf with you for a bit of R and R. Preferably choose somewhere with no internet access ( local Guardia Civil jail should do ). Maybe take the family with you as their alma maters ( the education at which was paid for by CX apparently) will be currently shut.
Maybe touch base with your 3rd floor buddies by phone every so often just to keep them decent and appraise them of where they’re going wrong.
Maybe take the boat out (the one that you were on when the marina debacle started {allegedly}).
And above all, remember to keep in touch with yourself.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 05:55

Feel better now Globo. 😳🙄
Old 10th Apr 2020, 06:20

Riot keeps going after Chinese Virus, oh, sorry, I forgot CX is Chinese

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.