Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Flying Instructors & Examiners
Reload this Page >

ORS4 1374 - "remote briefings"

Wikiposts
Search
Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

Search this Thread

Old 9th Apr 2020, 13:51

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The CAA exemption allowing for extension of validity periods for ratings says that the required briefing from an instructor "may be carried out remotely". Just wondered if anyone has a view on what that means. The prospect of every lapsing SEPL Rating holder requiring an individual briefing over the phone/Skype/whatever would have me heading for the hills. I'm contemplating putting together a couple of pages brief on key SEPL reval items (stalls, PFLs etc), sending that to anyone looking for a reval extension, and asking them to confirm in writing that they've read and understood it.

Views?

NS
Old 9th Apr 2020, 15:00

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
They've just issued another exemption which covers extension of validity of National licences and ratings. It says the briefing can be conducted
via preferably an electronic audio-visual link or telephone or in person maintaining social distancing requirements
but there's no such guidance in ORS4 No.1374 for the remote briefing for extension of an EASA rating/certificate.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 12:51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my first request and my plan is to do the briefing via Skype if possible. To be honest I doubt the CAA has much of a view as to how its delivered so long as something happens. It is, as far as I can see, pretty much a token fig-leaf to allow them to grant extentions on the basis that 'something' was done.

I might be wrong but I find it hard to believe that a briefing is anywhere near as useful as flying with the guy, no matter how it's delivered in this context.

None of which is meant to decry what CAA has done, I applaud the pragmatic approach to the problem.

Last edited by Kemble Pitts; 12th Apr 2020 at 17:32.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 11:03

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed with all you say. We've been discussing this locally and accept it's no substitute for flying with someone but at least it's a holding action until we can. Well done the CAA for doing something.

TOO
Old 26th Apr 2020, 21:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having now done a remote briefing for the SEP, i just went through some of the items on the srg1157, in particular, the emergencies section, flight planning etc. I also covered some of the recent changed such as the end of the derogation allowing flight clear of cloud and in sight of the surface in class D airspace that came in after the lock-down.

No substitute for a flight either as instructor or LPC but the feedback was positive.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 06:13

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Obviously flying an LPC would be better, but what happens in the days before an LPC and in the Briefing? You think about the rules, procedures and drills, you read up about maneuvers and exercises you're likely to have, and get them fresh in your mind so that on the day you hit the ground running. At least that's what I do. And when I do that I tend to nail it when I'm asked to do something.
It's not a licence proficiency practice, it's a licence proficiency check, and the important thing is how you prepare for it. We don't suddenly go from being proficient to unproficient at the stroke of midnight, and for someone with a good amount of LPCs under their belt I would say a good briefing achieves 90% of the aim, certainly enough to award 6 months extra validity in such unusual circumstances.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 07:55

I want to revalidate my examiner ticket, paid for seminar, but who knows when that will happen. I can foresee quite a few airline pilots wanting to get there sep's revalidated just so they can at least fly something in the next 12 months.

Old 28th Apr 2020, 09:02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can extend it Bob. Talk to your FIE. I did my seminar last year but of course cannot do the AoC. I'll be getting my "refresher" from my FIE this week in order to extend to November, special forms and all.
Old 15th May 2020, 08:09

Morning all

Im doing my first one today, I see how its recorded on the ratings page, but there is no mention of any forms to the CAA, have I missed something?

thanks in advance
Old 15th May 2020, 08:33

It is recommended that you record it on a SRG1157, that way you have a record and you can send it to the CAA as well.
Old 15th May 2020, 10:53

Originally Posted by Whopity
It is recommended that you record it on a SRG1157, that way you have a record and you can send it to the CAA as well.
thank you very much
Old 15th May 2020, 11:07

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAA has created a dedicated form for these things now, SRG1100F.

Its available on the CAA website.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:20

I wonder if i can issue one to myself?
Old 16th May 2020, 12:10

Angel Dream on

That will be the day, when you can
Old 16th May 2020, 12:56

Kemble Pitts

SRG1100F, is that a typo as I cannot find that form?

I used SrG1100 and wrote the statement ORS4 1384/1373 and emailed it to FCLwebb too. I’ll do Whopities 1157 as well now.
Old 16th May 2020, 13:10

caa.co.uk/srg1100f is the way to find any form you know the number for.
Old 16th May 2020, 21:22

Laststandards - thanks, I didn’t think about finding it that way. I looked in the list of publications under FCL but it is not listed there which is odd.

I guess I need to redo some people’s forms.
Old 16th May 2020, 21:34

Just a thought, now that online teaching in schools, colleges and in our sector the groundschool has proven itself, what is the possibility of refresher courses going online?
The content of the course would remain constant, and it might be more profitable for the providers.
Old 19th May 2020, 09:13

Whilst the regulation changed the wording from Seminar to Refresher Training, the revised AMC still shows the format as a Seminar. Change of wording but not of purpose or content.
The instructor refresher training for the revalidation of the FI and IRI certificates should be provided as a seminar by either an ATO, DTO, or competent authority.

(b) Such seminars should run for at least 2 days (1 day = 6Hours) and attendance from participants will be required for the whole duration of the seminar including breakout groups and workshops.

The attendance form will be completed and signed by the organiser of the seminar as approved by the competent authority, following attendance and satisfactory participation by the FI or IRI.
Breakout groups and workshops are not so easy to arrange online.

Last edited by Whopity; 19th May 2020 at 14:34.
Old 25th Aug 2020, 21:41

As I see it, SRG 1100F is only used when the Sep has not been signed, ie a remote revalidation. I cannot see anywhere on ors4 1412 that the caa are notified of the new expiry date 22nd Nov. When the Sep has been signed up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.