Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

What kind of physics should I learn?

Old 4th Jun 2020, 09:43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of physics should I learn?

Hey guys I hope everyone is doing great!
So the thing is I am 17 years old, and I am in my 2nd year in high school. I really want to become a pilot, but unfortunately I have chosen the wrong high school, so I have no physics subject. I have some physics books so i already started to learn from them. My question is what topics should i practise and learn and what kind of exercises should i practise (If you could give me an exaple that would be good) ? I already know the following topics: elecrics, the forces and some time, speed, distace calculations. My other question is I want to go for the Wizz Air cadet program so what should i expect from the COMPASS test? I mean what kind of exersices in there in relation to physics?
Old 4th Jun 2020, 16:06

Mechanics, fluid mechanics and termodynamics/heat exchange are the topics most relevant to aviation. Most of the concepts you need to be familiar with as a pilot revolve around those ones. Some geography basics will also help in understanding navigation as it deals with things like the shape of the Earth, calculation of bearings and distances from geographical coordinates etc. I don't know where are you from, but think more or less the equivalent of the UK A-levels.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 16:15

Khan Academy videos! It's all free.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 17:29

Follow the UK GCSE syllabus - most of it on bbc.co.uk (I think). I'll try to find a better link.

For pilots, nothing more sophisticated than that, but if you're thinking of Aero engineering of any sort, then follow @PilotLZ post above.

Good luck - you should be qualifying just in time for the next pilot shortage?
Old 4th Jun 2020, 17:33

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zpm6fg8

Try Edexcel exam board.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 12:26

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not strictly physics, though used extensively, especially in mechanics (motion, forces, etc.), a good background in vectors and basic trigonometry (sine, cosine, etc.) would be helpful, too. This might be part of physics studies anyway, but general understanding of the underlying math principles can help there, too.