Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Phone Mount

Old 2nd Aug 2020, 08:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone Mount

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a phone mount that will fit a C152. I don't have a tablet just yet (I will get one eventually) so I'm looking for something that work with a phone specifically. The only options I can see are something that will clamp around the yoke or suction cap that attaches to the glass. I'm a bit sceptical of suction caps because I'm not sure if they would stick to curved glass. The only options I found are:

www rammount com /shop-all /phone-mounts /complete-kits

And this little guy:
caddiebuddy com yoke-phone-mount-1

I like he look of the caddie buddy because it's flexible and has a longer arm which could be bent over the front of the yoke. I'm just not sure if the clamp will obstruct the yoke if I push the control column all the way forward.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands or know of any other options?

Cheers!

Old 2nd Aug 2020, 13:13

Question, is it your plane? If so, get a RAM-Ball fixed-mounted to the panel and go from there.

Hint, don't use a Yoke-mount, the device mounted will change the controls behavior.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 13:28

Originally Posted by ChickenHouse
Question, is it your plane?

Hint, don't use a Yoke-mount, the device mounted will change the controls behavior.
No it's a rental place so it's something I'd need to take on and off easily. If not a yoke mount I'm not sure what other options I have

Originally Posted by Discorde
I've stuck a Popsocket mount on my panel for my standby nav system (iphone + SkyDemon). A tablet might be too heavy for this type of mount though.
Thanks! I assume this works on suction. Does it work on a old dash that's not really a smooth surface?
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 13:59

Originally Posted by admuffin
No it's a rental place so it's something I'd need to take on and off easily. If not a yoke mount I'm not sure what other options I have
That only leaves your choice on suction mount or knee board. Do not save money when going a suction brand, there is no worse a bad suction cup. My choice would be RAM suction cup, just because my experience tells me it is best - but, they only last a couple of years before you better throw them away. When I was renting, I got a new one every about three years.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 14:06

That only leaves your choice on suction mount or knee board. Do not save money when going a suction brand, there is no worse a bad suction cup. My choice would be RAM suction cup, just because my experience tells me it is best - but, they only last a couple of years before you better throw them away. When I was renting, I got a new one every about three years.
Ok thanks, but does it work on a curved glass, because the windscreen glass is curved, especially at the sides where I'd need to mount it?
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 14:07

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
You are all aware I hope that use of mobile phones in aircraft is discouraged as the phone may try to use multiple 'cells' and end up 'swamping' them.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 14:16

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope you are aware that some people use mobile phones for other purposes than making phone calls. Navigation software comes to mind.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 15:52

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
I have been using this product for 2 years without any problems..

https://www.scosche.com/magicmount-d...ndow-car-mount
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 16:30

I agree with ChickenHouse, getting a Ram ball-mount added to your panel is the best, and had that on my previous aircraft.
However I've currently using Ram claw mounts, and have used them on a few other aircraft, and they are almost as good as having a fixed mount.
Small Tough-Claw? with 1" Rubber Ball

You can use them on the yoke, but despite the looks they don't need piece of round tubing to attach to.
They work fine on any suitable bit of aircraft structure, such as the coaming.
I also use the X-Grip mount when just using my phone.
X-Grip® Universal Smart Phone & Sat Nav Holder with ...
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 18:37

Originally Posted by chevvron
You are all aware I hope that use of mobile phones in aircraft is discouraged as the phone may try to use multiple 'cells' and end up 'swamping' them.
Who says the mobile net needs to be active? My iPhone SE(2020) is kind of primary navigational aid support system and enroute the cellular connection is on, but rarely used.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 13:56

Have a read of CS-Stan CS-SC105a and CAP1369 before you go sticking things to aircraft

Last edited by Emeroid Eng; 4th Aug 2020 at 07:18.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 15:27

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by admuffin
Ok thanks, but does it work on a curved glass, because the windscreen glass is curved, especially at the sides where I'd need to mount it?
Pop down to your local $2 shop and buy a "$2" (in reality about $10) suction mount phone holder with a similar size suction device to the better quality one you are thinking of buying.
Whilst stationary on the ground (obviously!) test it on various parts of the inside of the curved glass to get an indication of whether and where it will work.
Having done your research, give it to the next driver you see clutching their phone to their ear at the traffic lights.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 23:44

I've never noticed a change in handling on a PA28 or C172 with a yoke mount, I've used a Garmin GPS and iPad mini. Is this something specific to smaller aircraft or the C152 in particular? Otherwise a RAM yoke mount would be my recommendation. Any effect is going to be even less with a lighter phone.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 05:36

With a C152 there isn’t room to mount the RAM yoke mount to the shaft of the yoke without restricting elevator down travel, but you can (just) mount it round the squishy base of the yoke itself. But it’s rather in the way - I prefer to mount it on the P2 side.
With a PA28 though it’s fine - I always check for control restriction but it can be done. The weight isn’t significant (though that may be what he meant).
Old 5th Aug 2020, 22:17

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main problem with any kind of mount is restricting the view of the instruments and the outside scan. I know to my cost the lack of scan of instruments and some of the installations I've seen with cables festooned everywhere is downright dangerous. Carefully think out what you actually need and panel mount if at all possible, hardwired in. The Garmin AERA 660 is an excellent example of a removable panel mount tablet.
I use a 7-inch tablet on a kneeboard, the biggest I think is usable safely in a small cockpit. It has enough charge to last all day without an external power supply and the internal GPS aerial works well. Occasional glance down at this to see how your heading is matching up to the track is all that should be needed in flight.
You certainly shouldn't be mounting anything that restricts view out of the window. Certificated aircraft like the PA28 and C152 are approved with the windows as designed. Think what the insurance company would do to you if it turned out you had an accident where they are able to say your view out was restricted or the cockpit environment was compromised by non-standard kit.
There was a ditching off Alderney a few years ago where the occupant in the right seat of a PA28 (who survived) said the last they saw of the left seat occupant was them struggling in a tangle of wires...
Small aircraft windows are made out of Perspex or similar, not glass. They are much more prone to scratching and other damage.

TOO
Old 6th Aug 2020, 15:40

Originally Posted by caroberts
I've never noticed a change in handling on a PA28 or C172 with a yoke mount, I've used a Garmin GPS and iPad mini. Is this something specific to smaller aircraft or the C152 in particular? Otherwise a RAM yoke mount would be my recommendation. Any effect is going to be even less with a lighter phone.
You will notice if you have to balance an autopilot after installation. It is surprising how much influence the yoke mount has and I wonder how long before some AAs start to ban the yoke mounts, still hope it will not be a result of a fatal incidence!