Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

19 year old firefighter

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

19 year old firefighter

Old 19th Sep 2020, 03:12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19 year old firefighter

This week's "AOPA Live" has a nice little story about a Montana pilot working the western U.S. fires. I'd be real proud to be her father, except that she's already more accomplished than me. I appreciate that she's well-spoken, unlike most of her American peers that use "like" several times per sentence.

I couldn't imbed the video, so the link will take you to the main page. The entire video is a half-hour, but the heli part is 0:45 through 4:10.

click here

Last edited by rotorfan; 19th Sep 2020 at 03:32.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 03:23

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the Youtube version of it:

Old 19th Sep 2020, 03:33

Thanks, Clay, and well done. You're more clever than I am.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 04:52

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just reading about her, and trying to post it on PPRuNe. She's Command rated in Blackhawks and SIC in another type. Truly amazing, truly inspirational!
Old 19th Sep 2020, 07:01

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugilistic Animus
She's Command rated in Blackhawks and SIC in another type. Truly amazing, truly inspirational!
...and according to the video clip, also type rated single pilot on the Cessna CJ business jet.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 07:31

Just watched the clip, and I'm like ... whaaaaat
Old 19th Sep 2020, 08:33

Originally Posted by rotorfan
Thanks, Clay, and well done. You're more cleverer than I am.
Fixed that for you.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 09:51

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rb14
Fixed that for you.
Perhaps you are kidding, but what was written was fine. If you are going to use the comparative, you don’t need “more” - your correction needs correcting...

Hope the mods delete your post and mine as they are an unnecessary distraction.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 10:07

Originally Posted by Torquetalk
Perhaps you are kidding, but what was written was fine. If you are going to use the comparative, you don’t need “more” - your correction needs correcting...

Hope the mods delete your post and mine as they are an unnecessary distraction.
It was supposed to be amusing. In future, I'll try to remember not to unnecessarily distract.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 06:06
hueyracer

If it shows one thing-than it is that all the "experience requirements" in the past had been a sack full of bs......

Forget about experience on type, forget about having thousands of hours.....forget about experience in long lining or fire fighting.......

All you need is the right "sugar daddy" to put you in the command seat......

Especially in those times today, this is the wrong signal....couldn´t be worse....

Old 20th Sep 2020, 07:27

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyracer

Especially in those times today, this is the wrong signal....couldn´t be worse....
Sometimes pilots over estimate the talents required to do the job.
It is often insurance that is the limiting factor in what seat you can occupy, so if you're lucky enough to get a smoother path into a role, then so what.
Good luck to her, she can either do the job or not.
Enduring crappy jobs for 1000's of hours doesn't necessarily make anyone a better pilot.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 08:00

Originally Posted by hueyracer
If it shows one thing-than it is that all the "experience requirements" in the past had been a sack full of bs......

Forget about experience on type, forget about having thousands of hours.....forget about experience in long lining or fire fighting.......

Envy.......... it's a terrible thing. And you appear to have it in spades. What exactly would you have her do, given that she's achieved the same level of qualifications as you..... would it make you feel better to see her as a secretary? I assume you'll maintain a similar level of bitterness even if she completes her accountancy qualifications.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 08:59
hueyracer

Originally Posted by estepo
Envy.......... it's a terrible thing. And you appear to have it in spades. What exactly would you have her do, given that she's achieved the same level of qualifications as you..... would it make you feel better to see her as a secretary? I assume you'll maintain a similar level of bitterness even if she completes her accountancy qualifications.

Oh, it did not take long for you to come out from under your rock...........nothing to do with envy....

But as i am approaching my 10.000th flight hour, i have carried enough pilots to their final destination in a wooden box-some of them got killed due to lack of experience, some of them due to bad luck.

What saved most of the others when they hit bad luck was their experience-the experience you gain from flying for a long time, learning from others.

You´re asking what i "want her to do"?

I would want her to do the same thing all the other pilots have done in the past.....gain experience before throwing her into a big machine; gain experience before throwing her into a dangerous environment.

Its not only her life put at risk.
Its the life of the people flying with her (provided they are carrying fire fighters on board), its the lives of people on the ground; its the lives of people depending on her doing "the job"....

But hey-according to you, i am only envious......

Old 20th Sep 2020, 09:11

Received 609 Likes on 267 Posts
I rather got the impression that she had ticked the boxes for the aircraft but hadn't done any firefighting as PIC at all - and now she's gone to college so isn't actually flying in the fires anyway.

Nice to get an easy ride into flying but as we all know, flying a helicopter is one thing - operating it is another.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 09:23

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
The use of the term "sugar daddy" and it's connotations is unfortunate. Plenty of people have benefited from working in the family business.

Also, being part of the family business, doubt whether she's being asked to do things she isn't capable of doing and putting herself (and others) in danger.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 10:35

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Jeez, what a tough crowd.
From what we know, she seems like a fantastic young person, level-headed, making the most of her opportunities, and already achieved a lot at a young age.
Seems some would be happier if she just spent her youth sweeping out the hangar while updating her Insta profile.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 11:53

What I think is really important is the quality of mentoring she is receiving. I once sat in the jump seat of a Qantas 747 where in the LHS was one of the company's most experienced captains, and in the RHS was a long haired pimply 21 y/o. I really do hope this is a similar situation rather than some operator trying to show how special their sprog is.

There are a number of situations where having all the technical knowledge of your machine is trumped by experience.
Saying "no".
Good airmanship.
Putting pushy clients back in their spot.
Knowing the hazards of the areas you fly in.
The list goes on.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 16:10

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
​​​​​​​19-year-old Billings pilot fights fire, goes viral

I know the Blains but never met her, their family is well respected and would give the shirt off their back if needed. She seems grounded in her interview and gives credit and seems to downplay her accomplishments.

Billings Flying Service does International work so maybe she will travel with the group and meet some of you.

https://billingsflyingservice.com/#:...or%20aviation.

If you see their registration numbers ending with AJ, its for their son killed several years ago in Colorado in a helicopter accident

https://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...=home-trending

19-year-old Billings pilot fights fire, goes viral[/h1]Ashli Blain never intended to become internet famous. But a few viral Facebook posts have landed her on national news, the possibility of appearing on a major talk show and a free box of Snickers.

The 19-year-old helicopter pilot from Billings gained her accolades while fighting a California wildfire this summer with her dad, Gary Blain, who owns Billings Flying Service. A photo of her snapped at the scene went viral online.

Blain plays down her role. At least in California she flew only one day this summer on the SCU Lightning Complex fires providing relief for BFS pilots, she said.

But like many things circulating on social media there has been some misinformation. One social media post claimed she was a National Guard pilot another said she was commanding a Chinook (she’s only rated to co-pilot). The attention has made her uncomfortable, she said.

“Those pilots deserve the credit,” Blain said. “Not some 19 year old.”

Other rumors have placed her fighting fires in Washington, Colorado and New Mexico.

“Guys, I’ve been in school the last two weeks,” Blain said Friday in a Billings Flying Service hangar.

And a mention on national news that she usually carries Snickers in her flight bag earned a box from the company itself.

Despite some false posts on social media, Blain, who has a commercial pilot’s license, has done a lot of work over the past two summers including flying on search and rescue missions for the Yellowstone County Sheriff’s office, working on wildfires and some commercial work like hauling for construction sites. She’s also a flight instructor “on the side.”

She earned her commercial piloting license last year at 18. She can command-pilot a Blackhawk and co-pilot Chinooks (one of the heaviest lifting helicopters).

Blain prefers flying a helicopter to an airplane; it’s more hands-on and complicated, she said. Her aircraft of choice is a Blackhawk, even over a Chinook.

“It’s like driving a race car versus a school bus,” Blain explained.

Being that young of a pilot is a rarity — although her family’s long history of flying did accelerate her trajectory. Blain is just one of about 325 commercial pilots aged 16 to 19, according to the U.S. Civil Airmen Statistics.

Being a young pilot hasn't posed much of a problem in the mainly male-dominated field, Blain said.

"Some is having to prove I'm capable," she said. But Blain has all the credentials of a more than capable pilot.

Blain began flying on a glider at 13. By 16 she had her pilot’s license and a year later her private helicopter ratings. Blain switched to homeschooling in grade school and through high school to focus on piloting.

Most recently Blain flew Sheriff Mike Linder out to help with the search for a missing person.

“She did a fantastic job, and I wouldn’t hesitate to go with her again,” Linder said. The sheriff described Blain as calm and professional while in the air.

Family business

In Billings her family is maybe most well-loved for giving Santa Claus a helping hand on Christmas Eve during a long-standing family tradition of flying the sleigh over Billings, Lockwood and Laurel.

Getting to work with her dad is Blain’s favorite part of piloting, she said, although he will not hesitate to dump the paperwork on the newbie.

Ashli Blain is the youngest of three daughters. Her older sisters know how to fly, but didn’t pursue flying as a potential career.

Blain wants to pursue a career flying “in some capacity,” but she’s not blind to the challenges and instability the industry faces, especially in the wake of COVID-19.

“Aviation is fickle,” Blain said. “It can collapse on a dime. I wanted to have a plan B.”

She’s a freshman studying accounting at Rocky Mountain College and realizes the duality of her two potential career paths.

Billings Flying Service was founded by brothers Gary and Al Blain, who in 2014 bought the nation’s first civilian-owned Chinook helicopters and fitted them for fighting wildfires and hauling heavy equipment. The shop they have to maintain the helicopters and service other air equipment is substantial.

Despite the family proclivity for flying, it took “a lot of begging” for her dad’s permission to fly, Blain said.

Her dad, Gary Blain, knows that not all kids have access to airplanes and helicopters at 13. But Ashli’s own dedication got her where she is today, he said.

“She really did the work and did more than I ever anticipated,” Gary Blain said.

19-year-old Montana helicopter pilot joins the fight against wildfires in California

Montana pilot, 19, fighting California wildfires

By: CBS News
Posted at 9:29 PM, Sep 16, 2020

and last updated 10:36 AM, Sep 17, 2020A 19-year-old helicopter pilot has joined the fight to help extinguish the wildfires that have burned 3 million acres in California. Ashli Blaine is just a teenager, but she flies one of the largest helicopter — the 40,000-pound CH-47 Chinook.

"You could say it's the family trade," Blaine told CBS News. "My dad's been fighting fires for close to 30 years now. As soon as I got into flying I knew that was going to be one of my end goals was to get into firefighting."

Flying as her dad's co-pilot, Ashli makes sure the water they're carrying hits its target.

"You have to be able to lean out the window basically and look at a water bucket underneath you and guide it where you want to go," she said.

"Sometimes we can be flying in very adverse conditions," Blaine said. "Thick smoke or just lots of other aircraft working with us that we have to be cognizant of."

But for a young woman who has been flying since she was 13, it's a dream summer job.
"I love what I do, especially getting to firefight with my dad. That's one of the best parts," she said.

"Other than flying, what's the most important lesson you've learned from your father?" CBS News asked.

"How to be a good person," Blaine replied. "He's a very compassionate and empathetic person. That's hopefully a trait that I can pick up from him and learn from him."

When Blaine heads out on a mission, all she needs is a bottle of water and a Snickers.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 22:58

"Billings Flying Service was founded by brothers Gary and Al Blain, who in 2014 bought the nation’s first civilian-owned Chinook helicopters and fitted them for fighting wildfires and hauling heavy equipment. The shop they have to maintain the helicopters and service other air equipment is substantial."

I think what the article's author meant was that Billings Flying Service is the first civilian owner/operator of the CH-47D, because, If my memory is correct, ERA Helicopters was the first American civilian owner/operator of the Chinook. The model they operated was the CH-47C, or otherwise known as the Boeing-Vertol 234. ERA serviced oil rigs in the Bering Sea and supported other operations along the Aleutian Chain of Islands.

Cheers,
Grog
Old 21st Sep 2020, 05:52
hueyracer

Originally Posted by capngrog
"Billings Flying Service was founded by brothers Gary and Al Blain, who in 2014

So you´re saying this whole "Look, my 19 year old daughter with literally no experience on her freshly printed commercial license is now rated on some of the biggest helicopters in the world, flying fire fighting" is only a "marketing gag"?

Given the attention (and uproar) this article and video caused in the community speaks for itself.....so it definitely caught the attention.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.