Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

What to retain between ground school and the flying phase

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Old 22nd Sep 2020, 11:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

So I have had a long gap between my final atpl and the upcoming flying phase of my training due to covid. We all know that a lot of the info during ground school is a load of rubbish, but obviously there are parts which need to be retained.

From previous experience, is there any specific parts of the theoretical part of the training that most certainly will be required for the flying phase? I know things such as air law, notams, met and pof will be neccesary, but any specific parts of these topics, or perhaps any which may creep under the radar would be most helpful! Cannot wait for the long slog of revision again!

Many thanks
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 11:37

de minimus non curat lex

Originally Posted by pilotjjj
........I know things such as air law, notams, met and pof will be neccesary, but any specific parts of these topics.......
CAP 413 covers R/T phraseology. Learn “the words of play” as if you were the “Actor on the stage”.
Be fluent on the ground ASAP, and this will then free up capacity in the air, improve workload management and situational awareness.

edit: CAP413 on line ~ CAA website

Start with the VFR flights from taxi out, departure, XCTY element, VFR arrival, taxi in.

Emergency calls on VFR flights.

Start looking at the long briefs on some of the pre circuit exercises:
Straight & Level; Climbing; Descending; Turns.

Last edited by parkfell; 23rd Sep 2020 at 10:07.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 11:41

hi parkfell,

do you know where this info can be accessed? is it in the cap413?

many thanks
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 12:38

Remember how to accurately check that added fuel gives expected total fuel on board. The added fuel might be in pounds or gallons or USG. When it is a volume, the specific gravity of the added fuel and conversion factors need to be known.

Also remember how to glide your multi jet aircraft if you get that check horribly wrong.

Remember that the worse the weather and the darker the night, is the time when a very last minute careful and complete pre-flight inspection is made with the use of a really effective torch. A skinny penlight torch, no matter how high tech, is no match for a waterproof marine type waterproof version with quartz bulb and 3 x C size batteries.

When checking the accuracy of the load sheet, already have a close expectation of the vital weights. If the load is as expected, the resultant weights should also be close. Check the validity of every single line on the weight and balance in addition to the totals. Assume there are mistakes that you need to identify.

The captain decides the fuel on board.

These are just a few cherry picked vital items and there are many.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 14:12
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
We all know that a lot of the info during ground school is a load of rubbish...
Just be careful that on that wet, dark, night, when everything has gone south on you, some of that "rubbish" may give you a better outcome.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 15:14

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
What to retain between ground school and the flying phase?

Money
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 06:30

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
“Pure book knowledge should be impeccable - every second of doubt about "what do I do now?" is worth 30% of workload. Mostly because the self-doubt and second-guessing are real time and mental capacity wasters. The more you know flat cold, the easier it is to fly under the gauges”

Nick Lappos

When I was in the Army we practise3d radio by speaking to each other as if we were using the radio - over