Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

FI rating expiry?

Old 19th Jan 2021, 16:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI rating expiry?

Hi Folks,

I would gratefully like a second opinion on the following, as bizaar as it may seem, I just don't trust what the CAA are telling me as being fact.

I am an EASA Single Eng. Pilot Flight Instructor.

1. My EASA FI raing expires in Sept this year. However my SEP rating has expired. Does this mean my FI rating has now also expired? (Ie, I won't be able to exercise priviledges until SEP is renewed?)

2. How many instructional flights (in what timeframe) are required for me to remain a current EASA Flight Instructor?

Many thanks for your replies all.

Old 19th Jan 2021, 16:54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What does part FCL say? Probably sub part J. Bear in mind that uk CAA is no longer part of EASA.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 09:00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without a valid SEP you cannot fly an SEP, that much is common knowledge. The validity of your FI rating cannot trump that basic rule. I have a valid FE(PPL) but my IMC rating has slipped out of validity. My FE cannot be used for an IMC revalidation or renewal despite that fact.

In order to instruct all of your ducks must be in order!
Old 20th Jan 2021, 09:11

...and your FI has not expired, you just can't use it.

I'm sorry to be blunt but you should know the answer to your second question as well as the first. Part of being an instructor is knowing the rules, or at least where to look them up.

I say this in a sincere effort to help you going forward.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 09:15

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
As a FI you are PIC when instructing, that means that you must hold the ratings required to operate that class/type of aircraft. Keeping your FI rating valid requires two of these three options: 50 hours of instruction time, instructor refresher training, a profcheck. See FCL.940.FI FI –Revalidation and renewal (https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...-FCL-Aug20.pdf). If your previous revalidation included a profcheck, you can use hours and training this time.

The situation you're currently in is that your FI rating has not yet expired, but you are not able to exercise its privileges as the needed SEP rating has expired. (as stated in the previous post... I was busy typing )

Last edited by Jhieminga; 20th Jan 2021 at 09:20. Reason: added link
Old 20th Jan 2021, 09:19

The expiry of your SEP class rating has no direct effect on the validity of your FI certificate. You may continue to exercise any of the privileges of your FI certificate that do not require you to act (or be able to act) as PIC of a SEP aeroplane.

There is no requirement for a minimum number of flights in a specific timeframe to retain your instructional privileges during the validity period of the FI certificate. Even revalidation or renewal may be accomplished at the appropriate time, without having completed any instructional flights, by attending a seminar and passing an assessment of competence.

To expand on deltahotel's comment; UK issued EASA licences, ratings and certificates are no longer recognised as valid for use on any aircraft registered in an EU member state.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 09:30

What have the CAA told you?

Subpart J, FCL.900 states that a licence is required, which you have, but FCL.915 (b)(4) requires you to be entitled to act as PIC in the aircraft during flight instruction therefore, if your SEP has lapsed, you are unable to exercise the privileges for flight instruction until you renew your class rating and assuming a still valid FI rating.

The answer to your second question can be found in FCL.940: For an FI(A), 50 hours instruction within the rating validity period, and if teaching toward the IR, 10 hours toward the IR in the preceding 12 months of certificate expiry; instructor refresher training at an ATO or with the competent authority (seminar), or an assessment of competence within the 12 months preceding expiry of the certificate, remembering that an assessment of competence is necessary for each alternate revalidation. Alternatively, as mentioned above, you could revalidate/renew an FI certificate by refresher training and an AoC without the experience.

As an FI though, surely you must at least have been aware of the validity of your privileges?

Last edited by Reverserbucket; 20th Jan 2021 at 09:37. Reason: Other responses have already answered since typing
Old 20th Jan 2021, 15:12

Originally Posted by Reverserbucket
... if your SEP has lapsed, you are unable to exercise the privileges for flight instruction until you renew your class rating ...
Having a valid aircraft rating in a Part-FCL licence is a sufficient, but not a necessary, condition for being entitled to act as PIC.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 08:50

The only case I can imagine where one could act as PIC without a valid rating is on a successful flight test or AoC flight with an examiner. Can you name at least one other to enlighten me selfin?
Old 21st Jan 2021, 09:03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the Basic Regulation:
1.Pilots shall be required to hold a pilot licence and a pilot medical certificate appropriate to the operation to be performed, except for situations in which, as a result of the adoption of implementing acts referred to in point (c)(i) of Article 23(1), taking into account the objectives and principles set out in Articles 1 and 4, and in particular the nature and risk of the activity concerned, such licences or medical certificates are not required.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:59

With respect, I suspect the OP is unlikely to be asking the question if not required to hold a licence or rating under an Article 23 implementing act.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 13:23

MrAverage, the rule in FCL.915(b)(4) requires that "... holders of an instructor certificate with privileges to conduct flight instruction in an aircraft shall... be entitled to act as PIC in the aircraft during such flight instruction." The rule does not specify the basis on which the instructor shall be so entitled. Acting, or being entitled to act, as PIC under the privileges of a non–Part-FCL licence is sufficient. The same goes for examiner certificates.

One example is addressed in point (c) of FCL.900—Instruction provided outside the territory of the Member States [or the UK]. For example a person holding a UK Part-FCL licence (CPL or higher) may conduct EASA flight instruction at a UK-based ATO, which is approved by EASA, without being the holder of a valid EASA Part-FCL licence.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 08:18

Thanks selfin and Whopity.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 09:14

Thanks all for your replies. That has been helpful.