Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Fly without fuel?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Fly without fuel?

Old 6th May 2021, 15:13

Received 52 Likes on 15 Posts
Fly without fuel?

Salute!

For my Motherland friends...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/05/...o-go-net-zero/

Unless you use nuclear motors or monster planes with a thousand sq feet of PV panels, or....

Good luck, and pray for your country.

Gums sends...
Old 6th May 2021, 15:19

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
There is a solution designed by WW2 pilot Paul Günther:
Old 6th May 2021, 16:50

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
One day, we will be at war with an enemy who is not politically correct and not the slightest bit ‘woke’.

I think I know who will come of best and I doubt that having the moral high ground will of much comfort.
Old 6th May 2021, 17:29

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 6th May 2021, 17:45

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh gawd, what an idiotic article. This is a UK Defence initiative and not just RAF. See here for the policy statement: https://assets.publishing.service.go...trategy_v1.pdf

No one is advocating anything more than carbon offsetting - ie. for every tonne of CO2 you drop in the atmosphere in dead dinosaurs out of the back of your Typhoon, Atlas, Chinook, etc... then the MOD will look to either remove the same amount (synthetic fuel made from renewable energy by smashing H2O, O2 and CO2 together is being pioneered by Porsche right now and others are following) or create energy through solar/wind on the estate to offset the energy created previously through fossil means. NET ZERO is the clue, with NET meaning something that is added or subtracted to achieve ZERO.

Even if the MOD achieves 50% of its stated aim, then surely it’s better than doing nothing at all???
Old 6th May 2021, 18:47

Salute!

Sorry, Word, but we colonists are now waiting the same drivel here that might lower the temperature a 50th of a degree ( pick F or C) if the models are correct and all the other countries in the world revert to the stone age.

Oh well, I'll be gone by then and am trying to educate my grandchildren now, while I can still find wood to burn to stay warm when the glaciers return as predicted back in 1975.

Make no mistake, I would love to have the invisible jet that Wonder Woman has and not polute, and a super loadout of precision guided bombs and missiles, and be able to fly 1,000 miles and back without AAR. I can dream , can't I?

The green uber alles folks do not have a clue about anything except the emphasis upon one influence on the Earth's climate, and that evil gas trails the actual temperature of the Earth according to several ice cores and such by about 800,000 years looking at the last 3 or 4 ice ages. No matter, as the evil gas we emit while breathing and driving about is something that is easy to point at until we can control volcanoes, earthquakes and shifts in the magnetic poles, maybe solar flares......
/rant off

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 7th May 2021 at 01:19. Reason: typo
Old 6th May 2021, 18:51

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
There is a solution designed by WW2 pilot Paul Günther:
https://youtu.be/byaZehikedQ
That brings back memories of my childhood! I was given a similar but I think a slightly larger version called the "SturmVogel".

Never quite lived up to my expectations; I'd actually asked Santa for a diesel powered control line kit to built myself.
Old 6th May 2021, 18:53

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintsman
One day, we will be at war with an enemy who is not politically correct and not the slightest bit ‘woke’.

I think I know who will come of best and I doubt that having the moral high ground will of much comfort.
If Labour win the next general election at least we'll have an ex lawyer prime minister to write our foes a stern letter. Bound to put them off.
Old 6th May 2021, 19:47

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
That brings back memories of my childhood! I was given a similar but I think a slightly larger version called the "SturmVogel".

Never quite lived up to my expectations; I'd actually asked Santa for a diesel powered control line kit to built myself.

Mine lasted two rotations before I lost control and was definitely cat five!
Old 6th May 2021, 20:11

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine lasted two rotations before I lost control and was definitely cat five!
You probably made the same mistake as I did and pivoted the control lines by your wrist. One is supposed to make it go up and down by keeping the wrist rigid and moving your arm.
Old 6th May 2021, 21:11

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts
Hey gums, great to read your commonsense anti-warmist prose, with which I agree 100%!!

Absurd greenwash spouted by that Swedish child has been given far too much prominence!!

Oh - and the Sturmvogel was the larger version; the smaller one was the Zugvogel!! I had one but then moved on to control line models and diesel engines!
Old 6th May 2021, 21:43

I only flew control line things when on alert, and we could be out on the ramp and cease operations real quick if the horn went off. Diesels could have been players by just using the fuel tank drain buttons to get JP-4.

My paper things have been disasters.

Next ten years are gonna be interesting in many ways.

Gums sends...
Old 7th May 2021, 00:18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time an article like this appears must give great comfort to Russia / China / Iran etc. great comfort.
Because it means we in the West are not serious.
All these countries have a “universalist “ concept of themselves. They are the Center of their own worlds and really don’t care what we in the West think about issues like climate change.
Must give Putin and Xi Jinping are big chuckle.
Old 7th May 2021, 10:44

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
Hey gums, great to read your commonsense anti-warmist prose, with which I agree 100%!!

Absurd greenwash spouted by that Swedish child has been given far too much prominence!!

Oh - and the Sturmvogel was the larger version; the smaller one was the Zugvogel!! I had one but then moved on to control line models and diesel engines!

Never heard of the Zugvogel, but I did get into Radio Control. The Anson was the only multi engine I built and survived my R/C career. I now feel guilty about using all that fuel though !!!!!

Old 7th May 2021, 11:02

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,098 Posts

No doubt it's a cunning ploy to turn off the heating in Winter and save a fortune in phase one.
Cold lunches will be on all future menus in phase two.
Old 7th May 2021, 12:01

That's a lovely model!

Sadly the evidence for man made, CO2 related climate change is as compelling and incontrovertible as the rising of the sun and the roundness of the Earth. If things keep going it is feasible, though fortunately unlikely, that my children will be victims of the next mass extinction as Earth becomes too warm for humans to inhabit. They will certainly face a much more challenging, unstable world with a real risk of major conflict. We are in trouble.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

https://royalsociety.org/topics-poli...limate-change/

https://www.theccc.org.uk/2020/04/21...le-for-the-uk/

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...er12_FINAL.pdf
Old 7th May 2021, 13:26

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
The climate changing all the time through history is undisputed. The contribution of the man made part is the big question. Can we really change it? It changed brutally over times even without any humans on planet earth back then.
No question we should better protect our environment and not chop off rain forests, spill oceans and such. There is a lot of room to improve things for sure.
I just don't see how today's religious move to battery electric power would save the world? It will save at least the world's copper and lithium producers.The entire debate is way more ideological than scientific motivated it seems. Modern day political PR or even hidden investors and interest groups?

With stricter rules many things will become more expensive or must be bought new. Lower income groups will be excluded from using many modern day comforts leaving the streets empty for all those fancy "green" E-SUVs.

Last edited by Less Hair; 7th May 2021 at 14:04.
Old 7th May 2021, 15:14

Originally Posted by Less Hair
The climate changing all the time through history is undisputed. The contribution of the man made part is the big question. Can we really change it? It changed brutally over times even without any humans on planet earth back then.
No question we should better protect our environment and not chop off rain forests, spill oceans and such. There is a lot of room to improve things for sure.
I just don't see how today's religious move to battery electric power would save the world? It will save at least the world's copper and lithium producers.The entire debate is way more ideological than scientific motivated it seems. Modern day political PR or even hidden investors and interest groups?

With stricter rules many things will become more expensive or must be bought new. Lower income groups will be excluded from using many modern day comforts leaving the streets empty for all those fancy "green" E-SUVs.
I share your concern that making the world less carbon dependent is expensive and risks excluding the world's poor from modern life. We need to do it right.

We are where we are but the current climate position and rate of change is caused by human CO2 emission. There is no scientific debate about that any more. If we stop emitting CO2 we can slow the rate of change and stop the world warming out of the cyclic position it has held for the last few million years.

Idealogical groups like Extinction Rebellion with really dramatic tactics that massively inconvenience everyone, stop people working, stop the economy and generally annoy everyone don't help at all in my opinion.

We do have an electric car though. Kia E NIro. It's great. Acceleration to overtake is astonishing, absolutely left a tailgating F-type for dead the other day joining a dual carriageway from 30 limit, and in energy consumption terms it does the equivalent of about 160mpg, 200mpg in town. Regardless of your position on CO2 and fuel electricity is a great way to propel cars, charging infrastructure notwithstanding.
Old 7th May 2021, 15:17

Salute!

Thanks Hair.

Look at the charts in this link and tell me how much of a difference the MOD effort will make. Note the emissions and reductions by the Europe and U.S. folks. compared to the rest of the world.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/05/...ons-increases/

anyone ever heard of the expression pitjing into the wind?

Gums sends...

P.S. tons of the wood pellets being used in the UK for heat in winter come from the humongous tree farms we have in the southeast, and one of the largest is within 30 miles of my home. Look up St. Joe.
Lastly, how are we gonna generate all the electricity for those cool EV's?
Lastly, lastly... we have no proof that a reduction in human emission of the evil C02 will cool or even slow down warming. it's like we are looking thru a soda straw at a huge process and believe we can exert a major influence simply using the thermostat we call C02 emissions. Somehow this seems too good to be true.

Last edited by gums; 7th May 2021 at 15:31.
Old 7th May 2021, 15:26

yes the irony of climate enthusiasts burning oil to ship "carbon neutral" fuel is not lost on me! Many idiots in the world (of which I am sometimes one)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.