The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Angel Flight Call Sign

Old 28th Jul 2021, 01:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Flight Call Sign

The latest advice from Angel Flight is a request:

"We are writing to ask that on all future flights in and out of control space, we would appreciate you prefacing your call sign with ‘Angel Flight’, when first contacting ATC..."

I'm curious to hear from any controllers as to what this means to them when they hear such a call? Also, should I nominate my call sign as "Angel Flight 1234" instead of my rego "ABC"?
Old 28th Jul 2021, 02:06

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You (well, Angel Flight) will need specific approval to use flight numbers - and it's not easy to get that approval.

I don't think there's a problem with saying "ABC Angel Flight Baron ...." - ATC might give you a little help on the way in/out, but I don't think Angel Flights qualify for any priority.
Don't try to use "Angel Flight 1234" unless Angel Flight have approval to use flight numbers - trying to do so will cause you grief
Old 28th Jul 2021, 02:26

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Angel

Having been an 'Angel Flight' volunteer pilot, The use of 'Angel Flight' when first contacting ATC, along with your normal aircraft callsign, is to alert ATC AND the Aerodrome operator, that this is a 'no charge' flight.

That is, 'Angel Flight' has an arrangement with ATC that no ATC charges will be levied on this flight. Therefore the 'Flight Progress Strips', or their current equivalent, will be marked accordingly.
The SAME arrangement usually applies to the aerodrome operators

Its a donated ATC & Aerodrome Operator 'freebee'.........

CHEERS....And....THANKYOU TO ATC, and to the AERODROME OPERATORS.

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 28th Jul 2021 at 13:31.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 07:49

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
As an en route controller (I work Melbourne arrivals) it means absolutely nothing from a controlling perspective and I'll do exactly nothing with the information aside from thinking "why did you tell me that?". Not sure how the towers would handle it but I doubt it would be any differently. If the purpose is avcharges related then indicating it in the flight plan would be more effective.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 08:51

Received 167 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by le Pingouin
As an en route controller (I work Melbourne arrivals) it means absolutely nothing from a controlling perspective and I'll do exactly nothing with the information aside from thinking "why did you tell me that?". Not sure how the towers would handle it but I doubt it would be any differently. If the purpose is avcharges related then indicating it in the flight plan would be more effective.
If I were a controller, I would ensure that I gave the aircraft the safest and most direct route, knowing that there is likely a sick passenger on board who has just finished a bout of chemotherapy or something equally bad. I would assist the pilot by being clear and concise with radio calls as they may be unfamiliar with the area. I would also look to be accommodating towards issuing a clearance, especially if the plan wasn’t in or had been delayed. If I was in the tower, I’d expedite the circuit join and give priority over a circuit basher if at all possible along with a friendly hello, knowing that the pilot is giving away their time and aircraft for free and helping those in need.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 09:10

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
squawk 7700, Doesn't the flightplan nomination of HOSP or MEDEVAC denote what priority should be given rather than a callsign?
Old 28th Jul 2021, 09:12

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
If I were a controller, I would ensure that I gave the aircraft the safest and most direct route, knowing that there is likely a sick passenger on board who has just finished a bout of chemotherapy or something equally bad. I would assist the pilot by being clear and concise with radio calls as they may be unfamiliar with the area. I would also look to be accommodating towards issuing a clearance, especially if the plan wasn’t in or had been delayed. If I was in the tower, I’d expedite the circuit join and give priority over a circuit basher if at all possible along with a friendly hello, knowing that the pilot is giving away their time and aircraft for free and helping those in need.
Isn't that exactly what the controller should do as a matter of course? Don't they treat you like that?
Old 28th Jul 2021, 09:16

Originally Posted by Cloudee
Isn't that exactly what the controller should do as a matter of course? Don't they treat you like that?
😂 😂 😂

​​​Yes and NO !
Old 28th Jul 2021, 09:39

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Rex Havoc
squawk 7700, Doesn't the flightplan nomination of HOSP or MEDEVAC denote what priority should be given rather than a callsign?
Angel Flight isn't a HOSP or MEDEVAC though as according to their definitions. They're non-emergency flights often done by private pilots (volunteers) in private aircraft.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 12:24

This crowd qualifies for nothing, they are PVT GA flights of a non urgent nature.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 12:53

Originally Posted by machtuk
This crowd qualifies for nothing, they are PVT GA flights of a non urgent nature.
That is one simplistic way to explain what services they provide.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 13:27

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
However, as a 'Charity' volunteer flight to assist a charitable need, Angel Flight', as an organisation, has negotiated NIL fees from ATC and from various Aerodrome Operators.

That is the ONLY 'advantage' they have asked for, and receive from the corporations who control 'our' airways system.

There is NIL 'tracking' or other advantage - NOR is it / has it been asked for.

And, YES they are PVT GA flights of a non urgent nature........The flights I have done have been mainly related to 'Kidney Dialisis' clients.
It assists them in that the alternative is a rather looong road journey which can be extremely 'unpleasant' for the client.
Note - I did not use the word 'patients'.

IF any of you still want further info, and perhaps even....shudder....VOLUNTEER......Ring Angel Flight BN......
Dr GOOGLE will no doubt assist yas for the number.....!!
Old 28th Jul 2021, 13:49

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
But for the grace of .............
Old 28th Jul 2021, 21:25

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
While I sympathise with the intention there is simply no way in which I can provide a service above what I already do. I offer track shortening to all comers when I reasonably can and will treat you as competent as the the next local pilot until you demonstrate or indicate otherwise. If you want something simply ask - you never know your luck, and the worst that can happen is I'll say sorry, not available.
Old 29th Jul 2021, 11:23

Originally Posted by le Pingouin
While I sympathise with the intention there is simply no way in which I can provide a service above what I already do. I offer track shortening to all comers when I reasonably can and will treat you as competent as the the next local pilot until you demonstrate or indicate otherwise. If you want something simply ask - you never know your luck, and the worst that can happen is I'll say sorry, not available.
I've taken the point of appending ANGEL FLIGHT to their callsign as simply alerting you so that you could possibly assist when they might not even realise there is a choice. For example if under your control and you have to make a choice between 2 Aircraft and give one priority you're likely to do this based only on the info you have, knowing that one is an Angel Flight would mean you could give them the priority right? I honestly don't see how using this hurts anyone at all and can only see it giving the opportunity to try and assist someone doing a service to these people in need.
Old 29th Jul 2021, 22:38

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to be strictly licenced, equipped and regulated to drive a dead body from an accident site to a mortuary or to transfer one from an autopsy in Sydney back to a country town for burial. I see no reason why this service with live clientele should not be properly regulated. Perhaps fancy callsigns are more to do with ego and self importance than the task at hand.

Last edited by The Banjo; 29th Jul 2021 at 22:56.
Old 29th Jul 2021, 23:24

Received 162 Likes on 83 Posts
The Aussie spirit alive and well.
Old 29th Jul 2021, 23:42

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
The Aussie spirit alive and well.
Where I come from the "Aussie Spirit" means you donate money anon, quietly volunteer your time to help out without expectation of recognition. Should the lady who does 4 days a week at Vinnies be given a flashing blue light when her own car and petrol are used for visiting the elderly or delivers food parcels?
We have replies from ATC that suggest using "Angel Flight" on the radio has no bearing so what purpose does it serve? If priority is genuinely required the passenger is on the wrong aircraft.
Old 30th Jul 2021, 01:28

Originally Posted by The Banjo
Where I come from the "Aussie Spirit" means you donate money anon, quietly volunteer your time to help out without expectation of recognition. Should the lady who does 4 days a week at Vinnies be given a flashing blue light when her own car and petrol are used for visiting the elderly or delivers food parcels?
We have replies from ATC that suggest using "Angel Flight" on the radio has no bearing so what purpose does it serve? If priority is genuinely required the passenger is on the wrong aircraft.
That's a lot of words to say "I'm a jerk and I don't care".

These people are quietly donating their time and aircraft, the ANGELFLIGHT callsign isn't some form of recognition it's to allow ATC extra information that could allow them to make a decision that assists them. Simple as that. The situation you provide is absolutely different and you know it. The replies so far are that it has no official bearing and does not officially give them any extra priority, I don't really see anyone saying they're going to just outright ignore it.
Old 30th Jul 2021, 01:59

I have put 'Angel Flight' in front of my callsign, not expected any priority, but sometimes seem to have got it. I remember contacting Sydney Departures on the SID out of Bankstown on one occasion, using the pre-fix, and being re-cleared direct Williamtown without having to ask for it ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.